ad: cq2k-1

Off Center Fed Configuration question.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4ZIF, Aug 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4ZIF

W4ZIF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I BOUGHT A MAXCOM 3K MULTI-BAND OCF Dipole a number of months ago, I am just getting to where I will use it. My question is about how should I configure the antenna?

I am thinking that if I tie the long end wire to a paracord, with 4 feet tether up to around 70 feet. This will be at the top of my tallest tower. Then slope that wire over to my 40 foot smaller tower, about 90 feet away, and have the balun hanging 3 feet below a boom atop that tower. Then take the other side of the dipole and allow it to slope over to a section of top fence rail pipe, 20 feet tall, on a 4 foot paracord tether there as well, will this work at all in this configuration?

I have only seen the OCF Dipoles mounted either balanced, or in an inverted V configuration. So, it is making me think as to how well the antenna will perform in a true sloper configuration, because I have never seen, or heard of anyone doing this configuration before.

I have used a MyAntennas EFHW for 3 years now. It is sloped off the top of the tallest tower then out into a two acre field. It has been a good antenna, but I would like to see how well this OCF Dipole will perform. I am wanting to know if anyone else has ever used a OCF Dipole this particular way. Thanks for any information on the subject.

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

You treat an OCF antenna the same as you would a simple dipole. It can be flat horizontal, inverted vee or even a sloping antenna. The only thing different with an OCF compared to a center fed dipole is where it's fed. No matter how you slice it, it's a half wave antenna on its design frequency.
    As for one leg being longer then the other, it make no difference whether the long leg is up or down in a sloping array.

My OCF80 is not only an inverted vee, bu from where it hangs from the tower, one leg goes north east and the other leg goes west. It works great and has a very good SWR curve per band.

Barry, KU3X

W2TH likes this.