of Solar PV panels

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by 9H1FQ, May 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. 9H1FQ

9H1FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can a PV solar panel rectify an rf signal from an amateur antenna nearby, causing RFI ?

2. KV4PD

KV4PD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not that I have ever heard of. If it could, I would have a persistent RFI problem at my station as I often run 100% from an off-grid system. Also, my OCFD passes over the panel array at some point. I think the point here is that while transmitting, you wouldn't notice any RFI anyway as the receive mode is disabled. Are you speaking of some other type of RF not generated by your station?

3. 9H1FQ

Thanks
    I understand that the PV panels are actually semiconductor material, thus they may be probe to rectification of nearby strong Rf from ham tx

4. KV4PD

KV4PD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if this is true, it would be the first time I've heard of it. Do you have an example of this phenomenon that you can share?

5. 9H1FQ

This is just a tought. I can prove nothing.
    I may study again the semiconductors theory especially silicon material.

6. 9H1FQ

Is a PV panel actually a diode?

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The issues with PV panels is usually not with the panels as they generate DC, but with the inverters that turn the DC into AC. I have never heard of a panel by itself causing RFI.

Steve
    KV6O

K2WH likes this.