oEM software?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Nov 1, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi to all,

First of all. Some clients require hardware and software in Windows, so LINUX isn't an easy option (and would require learning and knowing still another OS.)
    And I UNDERSTAND (painfully) about (so-called) IT Departments. (Short story: I used to work for a medical center [name withheld to protect the guilty:mad:] that required ALL software be on their supported list, NO exception. One day, our secretary had a problem printing from WordPerfect (yes, it WAS a long time ago) which was one of their "supported" programs. Their IT department poured over the problem for two hours until I came in at about 10:00 AM because I had a doctor's appt. I had the printer working in about five [maybe seven] minutes.)
    I agree that 4 GB is small, but especially so for Win 10. But the 4 GB will only exist in the AMD machine until I determine Win 8.1 actually works, then I will upgrade to 8 GB. That is still on the "smallish" side, but all the machine is worth. My "REAL" machine is an i7-7700 with 16 GB running Win 10. Since I don't play games (except for solitaire on occasion) I think that is more than adequate. (I think the last GAME I bought was "Choplifter" for the Apple ][+:D:rolleyes:)
    I DO use Norton (Internet Security, finely honed to not use too many resources) and a firewall, so I should be (relatively) safe.

2. DANIELCHARLES

DANIELCHARLES QRZ Member

Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) software is designed by the original manufacturer to be white-labeled — customized for the same look and feel of a particular brand's products, allowing them to put their own stamp on it. OEM software allows you to introduce solutions without the high cost of software development.

3. WA9SVD

Sorry this has taken so long. Here's the TRUE, full story:

1. The (inherited) eMachine had an OFFICIAL (i.e. legitimate) COA sticker attached.
    2. The hard drive was dead, and the original "restore" disk had either not existed, or thrown out/destroyed by the heirs of the original owner.
    3. I was able to obtain an "ISO" restore version of XP home (via eB*y) which ( I found out )WAS simply an ISO, NO license, and I understood it did NOT come with a license. That allowed me to re-install XP Home on a new hard drive (500 GB vs the original 200 GB drive.)
    4. I was able to (re) activate the XP Home using the license key on the computer's sticker; the "on-line" system is apparently no longer available, but the telephone system worked, first time, no questions asked (as of December 2020.)
    5. I haven't tried the Win 7 OEM install yet; it is 64 bit, and since I already have two Win 8.1 machines (both at another location, with one as a backup there) I don't really need anything more. Neither the eMachine nor the (2) other Win 8.1 machines (Lenovo Pentium Dual core, or an AMD Phenom Quad Core, each maxed out @ 4 GB) are powerful enough to run Win 10 (the Win 10 install simply says it can't/won't install on those machines) I haven't seen fit to go further. IF I have the time and inclination, I MAY try a clean install of the Win 7 OEM with a different (clean) hard drive in the eMachine, but since it has only a single core P4 processor, it may not be worth the time or effort. (The DOWN SIDE being having to deal :eek:with yet ANOTHER MS operating system, as if XP, Win 8.1, and Win 10 aren't enough?:rolleyes:) Since I don't have ANOTHER (legitimate, retail) version of Win 8/8.1 Pro upgrade, the upgrade from Win XP to Win 7, or Win XP>Win 7>Win 8.1 is moot and not needed.

4. WA9SVD

Some of what you say is true, there are many types of OEM software, but in the case of SOME OEM versions of Windows (particularly Win 95 SR1; i.e. the version with alleged "USB support") WAS "OEM ONLY" (never released in a retail version) and would NOT allow an upgrade to another, later version of Windows. An owner/user was either stuck with Win 95, OR had to purchase a retail version of the new Windows version, and HOPE the proper drivers were available to allow proper operation of the upgraded computer. A retail version of Windows didn't always have the necessary drivers for a "pre-built" computer with a proprietary configuration and often hardware (such as video or sound cards) made or customized only for computers made by a specific manufacturer.