Odd IC-7000 problem

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by HB9FUH, Apr 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently had my Discovery in the garage for an engine swap. When it came out again, the 7000 would rx fine, but shut itself off after a few moments (less than 2 minutes) of transmitting, as though the antenna were shorting to the bodywork. The odd thing is that it would work fine if I ran it from a separate power supply.

The only way to keep it working is to disconnect the earth terminal on the back of the radio (the vehicle PSU that came with it, being a European model, has a ground terminal as well as the four-way connector). What is odd is that it worked fine with the terminal connected before the garage work. I'm happy with the work-around, but any ideas as to why it changed behaviour?

2. KC9GLD

KC9GLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ground wire/strap was reinstalled on a newly painted surface during the motor swap?

3. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you do anything, check the fuses in the power cable.

4. HB9FUH

They are both fine.

5. HB9FUH

That's a good point, I'll take a look.

6. HB9FUH

Follow-up to this, in case anyone is interested :) Soon after all this began, the battery died. After replacing it, the problem went away, so it seems as though the dying battery was to blame for the symptoms.

K0PIR and WA4SIX like this.