Ocracoke Island Power Outage

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AA5AZ, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fingers broken? Can't use Google? http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...ng-sea-levels-two-years-amidst-media-blackout graph is from NASA

2. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is known as "cherry picking" data. The sea level actually dropped in 2011 and 2013 but the trend remained resolutely upwards. Similarly in 2012 and 2015 the sea level rise accelerated. You ignore these minor fluctuations, mostly due to El Nino and la Nina temperature fluctuations in the Pacific Ocean, and look at the overall trend. Go to the NASA site for more information.

Now back to the main topic...

N2EY likes this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

News reports indicate that many of the travelers affected had purchased some form of Travel Insurance (yes, there is such a thing). At least one insurance firm (AIG) reports that they've already started paying claims.

Each claim is evaluated separately, and depends on the carrier and the coverage. But I'd suspect that most of them will be paid. And then the insurance carrier will go after the contractor to recoup the cost of the claims paid.

Those who don't have the coverage... well, I don't know. It may depend on the rental contract signed, but I suspect in many cases, the traveler(s) may get stuck. (And many of whom will then file suit against the contractor)

4. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct. They are on the mainland- 'bout 50 (avg) miles away with Hertford being an additional 18 miles south on US 17. They DO, however, flood easily due the flat lands and soil permeability. It used to flood badly in front of the old Elizabeth City High School--like a small lake. Hurricanes don't do Perquimans or Pasquotank Counties any good, either, since there are very large rivers and the Albemarle Sound nearby. In front of the newspaper office, which fronts the Pasquotank River, they don't call it "Water Street" for nothing!:D:D. When I was young, I even thought I'd love to buy a place on "River Road" that fronted the river on the other side and went down to the College of the Albemarle. Very pretty drive down to the college. It is a nice place to live, away from the huge traffic, mild winters, access to the beach and all that. I did see the Albemarle Sound freeze solid back in the 60's, threatening the highway 32 bridge near Edenton, NC. The Army Corps of Engineers was out there trying to get the ice away from the pilings. A very weird sight to see whitecaps frozen in place.
    Only happened once to my knowledge.

5. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Must be. A new island formed off the Carolina coast.;)

AA5AZ likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think that's accurate.

NASA found where "the missing ocean water went" during the dip that occurred 2010-2011 and it was rainfall on land that moved it.

However, the sea levels have continued to steadily rise.

https://earthdata.nasa.gov/user-resources/sensing-our-planet/when-oceans-drop

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

My QTH is at 8650', so I have a little safety margin built in on this whole sea level rise thing.

W4IOA likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They came around and installed Tsunami Warning signs here everywhere a road drops below 15' ASL. I'm around 60 feet so I'm good to go and can watch the tsunami from my porch. Sea level rise here is relatively small compared to North America.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Update: (5 Aug 2017) There are already three class action lawsuits against the contractor, and probably many more, for losses incurred by businesses.

AA5AZ likes this.