ad: elecraft

Ocracoke Island Power Outage

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AA5AZ, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not on the Zed. Here, the only people who "own" a thread are the mods. (That is not a comment on moderation, just the rules).

2. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And it will be the first of many, you know. Lawyers smell money and gather like sharks smelling blood in the water...

I just hope that the residents and business owners end up with enough $$$ to compensate them for their losses.

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The local businesses have lost a large chunk of their yearly income and almost all of them are small privately owned businesses. This is the peak season for OBX and you can bet the lawyers are already drafting up the complaints. There are also the companies who provide vacation insurance who are desperately trying to weasel out of paying compensation to all who dad to evacuate. My guess is that at the end of the day, this will wind up costing more than if a major storm had hit the area.

4. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

The impact will certainly be significant, but how can it cost more? There is no storm damage to repair / rebuild. The question is, who will it cost?

As soon as the power is restored, they can get back to business. Not an immediate full economic recovery, but at least back to business.

Other than zero damage to the area, the real difference is that there is an identified source that blame can be pinned on. But at some point more details will come out, like who said it was OK to drive something into the ground at that spot? Was the construction company stupid or mislead or both? Percentages of fault will be determined, and as always the Lawyers are the only winners.

5. N2EY

What makes it all the more galling is the fact that many of the businesses have generators.....but the vacationers have all left, so there are few customers.

-----

It's easy to be critical of the construction folks and ask how something like that could happen. The truth is far more complicated. No system is 100% foolproof; people make mistakes, maps are inaccurate, etc.

Whenever you bury something, there's a danger someone will dig it up or hit it in the process of driving something or digging. Whenever you put something aloft, there's a danger it will fall down.

And there's always the dollar factor. It would be great to have multiple power feeds, on-island generators and fuel supplies, etc. - but, who pays for all that?

---

200 years ago, electricity was a laboratory curiousity. 150 years ago, about the only widespread use of electricity was for the telegraph. 100 years ago, much of the developed world didn't have electricity. Now we can't seem to do anything without electricity.

6. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Until power is restored, rooms and houses that would have been rented will remain vacant. Those who own or manage those properties will have no income. In turn, their staff and employees who clean and otherwise maintain or work at those properties will have nothing to do, and in turn, no income.

Restaurants will have no customers. Stores will have no one to buy their wares.

The owners of these establishments will still have to pay taxes, rent or mortgages. Those with merchandise on order will still have to pay for it, sooner or later.

Once power is restored, some of the visitors will return. Many will not, having made other arrangements, due to the uncertainties... or will have cancelled their plans altogether. All of that will represent lost business and lost opportunities.

So calling or implying the impact as insignificant hardly seems wise.

Some of these businesses and establishments will not recover, monetary compensation not withstanding.

I'm glad I don't work for one of the insurance companies that will be paying out on this one. Especially one of the ones insuring the construction company -- or issuing that company it's construction bonds. And that's BEFORE the lawyers get their hands in the mix.

N2EY likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thinking in terms of dollars and cents vs damage to buildings infrastructure. The economic impact to the people whose livelihood depends on tourism is going to very high.

9. N2EY

The same happens every time there's a hurricane, doesn't it?

I recall, some years back, planning a week on the Outer Banks. Duck, I think it was. And a storm came and they evacuated the area. The damage was slight but by the time they let people back, the week was over.

I still had to pay the rent for the place - even though I never got within 100 miles of it.

10. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Ham Member QRZ Page