Ocracoke Island Power Outage

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AA5AZ, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Undoubtably! The original Bonner bridge opened about the time we moved out there. I haven't been out there in 20 years. Longer than that for a real vacation. Last time I spent time there, my parents and my wife and daughter were together. We toured all the way down the 'Banks, went to Hatteras Light. and spent the night on Ocracoke. My wife didn't like the idea of water being on BOTH sides of us. We caught the ferry at 6-7 AM to go back across to the mainland. Mother didn't like the ferry once we got out of sight of land. There was a pretty good swell on since there was an approaching hurricane in the Atlantic. We, of course, needed to get the **** outta Dodge. Mom got in the car and wouldn't get out. She didn't say much, but you could tell she was worried as the ferry rose and fell, waves sometimes washing over the bow:eek:. I worked a few stations on HF during the 1 1/2(?) hour ride.:)

That area of Eastern NC was pretty desolate in 1963 when my parents moved me out there to Hertford. I thought I'd fallen off the world, and I used to tell friends back home, "Whatever you do, don't go past Rocky Mount:eek:! You'll FALL OFF (the world)!:)" As far as I was concerned, the world ENDED at Rocky Mount (NC). Deserted, desolate, barren, miles and miles of sowbean fields and John Deere tractors!

But, like everywhere else, I met (and remember) some really nice people down East, and I won't forget 'em. But living there just wasn't for me! I hightailed it back West after graduation, and have remained here since. But if you are looking for a place to retire to the South, look at Hertford/Elizabeth City, (NC). Hertford looks just like it did when I left 50 years ago with a few changes. It is located on the Perquimans River (yeah--hard to pronounce!). It is quaint, quiet with little to do! Now if you like fishing, boating, hunting, its the place to be! Elizabeth City is not far away, a bit larger with most of the amenities since it has grown more than Hertford. Hertford's most notable native son is Jimmy "Catfish" Hunter (deceased), late pitcher for the NY Yankees. I went to high school with him; was there at the game the night the scouts picked him for the Kansas City A's. Helen, Jim's wife, in my graduating class and a cheerleader, was at our 50th class reunion last year. And the high school I graduated from is still in use!!!!:p Talk about things staying the same! Oh! Forgive the ramble, but you'll never guess who ELSE had a connection to Hertford. If you are over 50 you'll remember somebody called "Wolfman Jack"! Believe it or not, he is buried near Hertford @ a community called Winfall!

For those who are looking for a place to retire, these are neat little communities. You'll see lots of farms, and plenty of places to stretch your legs away from the traffic and bustle. The beach is.......oh...........................60 miles away. You can even find places to hang antennas without those pesky HOA nazis, too!!!;):p

K4EJQ and KP4SX like this.
  2. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

"Hit or Miss" utilities ya mean?

3. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

They are going to use the 1,000$ to pay for the new cable.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He must have been sent by the local HOA.

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would agree 100% if it weren't for increasing ocean levels! The highest point on these Outer Banks islands isn't very high.
    And those highest points move with the blowing sand.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Elizabeth City, Hertford aren't on the OB. I wouldn't live on the OB or any of the barrier islands. A bad hurricane can wash those places from the map!

7. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

There wasn't a HOA in this sub-division I can guarantee you that back in the 1980s and my buddy has relocated up to Union Grove, Wisconsin where the contractor tried to make it a HOA. My Buddy took the contact to his Lawyer to look it over and then typed in the words that said that he could install a 50 foot tower with antennas. He made a Xerox copy for his records and then handed back the original paperwork to the contractor sales team. They didn't even check their master copy, just signed it & put it in a file. About six months later my buddy installed his 50 foot tower with the antennas mounted on it. I think one of his neighbors complained about the tower being unsightly. The contractor came over to my buddy's new home and demanded that he take the tower down. My buddy said to the contractor, No I'm not going to remove it further more I suggest that you pull the contract from your files and read it over. The contractor left but the problem continued till the contractor went out of business that same year and there were several homes half completed. Then the City of Union Grove started to harass my buddy and told him that they would condemn his property, my buddy told the City Managers, I'll see you in court! My buddy had them in an awkward position, eventually the problem resolve itself and he still has his tower with more HF antennas on it. There are ways to beat these HOA sub-divisions at their own game.

Dan
    WA9WVX

8. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

And this has to do with the OBX power outage how? Here's a link if anyone is interested. I've been a regular on the OBX since I was 11 years old. My plan is to retire somewhere in Eastern NC within a a couple hours on the OBX in about 5 years.

No, I'm not changing my call! I started in VA as KC4BCL. :)

http://www.obxconnection.com/outer-banks-forum/forum-thread.aspx?Thread=90451

9. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Ron,

My previous post in this thread had nothing to do with the OBX Power Outage, I was just responding to WD0BCT comments. I've been out to Kill Devil to see where the Kitty Hawk was flown as I recall it was very sandy soil out there but the Outer Banks are like that. I also remember that it was a very long drive between the western edge of NC to the Outer Banks. We also drove to Cape Hatteras where they had moved the original lighthouse back to higher ground. That would have been something to see as they did that process. N0TZU said," Apparently the contractor didn't call 811 for a cable locate" which in turn caused a massive Power & Telephone Outage ... not something anyone would want during their peak season. On the other hand, I think most of the people on QRZ have experience massive Power and/or Telephone Outages in their areas where they live, it's nothing new although very frustrating. It seems to be when Hurricanes come up the Eastcoast of the U.S. the Outer Banks normally get hit real hard knocking over those summer homes so we can pay to have them rebuilt.

I live in northern Illinois nowhere near the Outer Banks but I'm paying for the people who live on those sandy soil islands to rebuild their summer homes. Some how this doesn't make much sense. Back in the 1990s the Mississippi River over flowed it's banks and our federal government informed all of the people and businesses to relocate their towns 1 mile east or west of the river and then rebuild. There were "no ifs, ands or buts" because the federal government wouldn't provide a single penny for those people or businesses who decided to stay where they were originally all along the river. That flood affected homes, businesses, farm fields, the homes co-located on the farms along the Mississippi River and ironically people were caught digging along the hills & banks breaking down what the Army Corp of Engineers had built up for flood control. I hope they got their day in court and sent directly to prison for 50 years.

I hope you do retired and settle in a higher location in eastern NC because I do remember seeing the signs stating that the roads were evacuation routes away from the Outer Banks. That wouldn't give me a warm & fuzzy feeling while trying to beat the flood waters in a vehicle.

Dan
    WA9WVX

10. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

recent NASA data shows ocean levels ot be dropping as more water is locked up in ice and snow