Ocracoke Island Power Outage

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AA5AZ, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, he must not have been a bright one. Or maybe a side hustler. Being in the biz we got a mailbox full of locates every morning. We were registered, of course, but that only meant a roughly defined geographic area. So, many of the locates didn't apply to us. They carried a description like "property owner wants to put in a fence". Well, that could affect our main distribution cable or a simple drop to a house. Our call.
    There were no people from the locating service that did the work. Each utility did it on their own but I recognize that in other areas the utilities pay into the service to have them do the leg work.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hadn't considered the side hustle aspect - it could have been though we don't have much of that sort of crap around here.

3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I was thinking! The knotheads that did this should be FINED an equivilent of the estimated loss suffered by the people who live there! The monies should then be distributed amongst the businesses and residents who suffered the loss. This is the island(s) main s0urce of income: tourism:(! I feel an affinity for these folks as a former resident of Hertford/Elizabeth City, NC areas. There's not an inch of those Banks I didn't explore as a teenager!

N4AAB likes this.
  4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We visited the outer banks and Ocracoke years ago on a number of fall vacations. Loved the area. So sorry for the tourist businesses that must be suffering. I'm thinking we need to get back there....after the restore power of course!

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sad part is that the OB doesn't resemble what we knew back then. Hatteras and Ocracoke are fortunate in being relatively untouched. In seeing that pic of the new bridge my first thought was WTF are they building that for?

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We got to Ocracoke by ferry....that was part of its charm!

7. KB9LXP

KB9LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

My Brother locates, as also his 2 sons. They locate for the utility only. Any thing past a meter socket is the homeowners. Also, the phone box on the side of the building is where they stop. If you buried a wire to an out building, it yours.
    TV News showed a quick clip of a semi pulling a CAT generator in a shipping container. I my have wired that unit. :)

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I get it, and I'm sure that's technically correct, but the local practice as I've experienced it in this rural area is to locate to the residence. Anything from the residence to outbuildings (or between outbuildings) is private and everyone seems to understand that. I imagine it varies by locale and the utilities.

9. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Had anew guy out to locate my phone line. My radial field runs across it and he started flagging the radials instead of the phone line... I pointed out to him that the line ran straight from the box on the house to the pedestal out in the alley easement... he insisted it must be making a bunch of back and forth turns because there were hits every 2-3 feet...

10. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a ham buddy that lived in Round Lake, IL and Commonwealth Edison sent a guy out to locate all of the primary power drops. He had a drawing of where these drops were located but he had to verify everything. This CWE guy gets to my buddy's property and starts to wave his magic locator around the yard. My buddy was at home and noticed the CWE guy trying to locate the main drop line but the CWE guy had managed to move his instrument over in my buddy's side yard. My buddy said that the CWE guy looked very confused and by the time my buddy walked outside, the CWE guy was all the way out to the street doing his thing. My buddy goes over to the CWE guy and asked him what he was doing? The CWE guys says I'm trying to locate your primary power drop. My buddy says, lets walk back to the distribution box and I'll show you exactly where to find the drop and Oh BTW he tells the CWE guy that he has used one of the locator instruments on his job for Bell Telephone. So the CWE worker hands my buddy the instrument and he sweeps the area where the main primary power cable is located. The CWE worker watches in disbelief and says, I've found hits all over your yard. My buddy said, Yeah, I bet you have as I've installed a ground system for my antennas. The CWE worker then stated, You can't do that! My buddy says, The Hell I can as I own the property! You've got to wonder where Commonwealth Edison finds these Idiots!?!?

Dan
    WA9WVX

WD0BCT and N4AAB like this.