Ocracoke Island Power Outage

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AA5AZ, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

How could he? The cable was cut silly.

W4IOA and K2CAJ like this.
  2. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, did E-911 for county x in WA - 30 years ago! It is nice to see such rapid progress in public service.

Of course in Huston we have good 20 numbers list of " non emergency numbers" to off-load those 911 operators.

I guess here they did not get the memo why US went to 911 in first place.

73 Shirley

PS
    During Ike, room full of monitors , just like the one they just open,went blank because the cameras throughout the city lost power same as traffic lights. Whoops,

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who the hell was responsible for putting that cable smack dab under where I was supposed to drill my steel casing?
    What kind of planning was that? There oughta be a law!
    When a disaster gets too costly insurance companies look for someone else to share the blame with. Often ends up in court for years....this is what puts companies out of business.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what i sounded like when they drove that casing through the cable...

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you mean to ask what "it" sounded like? I think they were lucky no one was hurt or killed. I'm sure the jack hammering of the casing was pretty loud...probably had to go thru some concrete to get to the cable.

6. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Weeks to dig up a cable and fix it? Even if under water? Utility company needs to be fired!

7. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is very little on Ocracoke. It's only about 20 miles wide. Last time I was there, there were only a handful of motels, restaurants and bait shops.

The residents are used to extended power outages. Every decade or so, a hurricane wipes the island clean.

The power outage extends to part of Hatteras as well.

8. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nobody is used to extended power outages. You don't just get used to it. I live in Eastern NC and it happens frequently to us, 1 week and a day after Matthew last October. It's a reality, but nobody gets used to it.

9. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

just curious but why would they need amateur radio?

10. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know that they do or did. I was just curious if the local amateur community was activated in the beginning or otherwise. They have cell service, but no phone service, from what I understand. Who knows.

Look, back in 2009 or so, a fiber optic cable was cut at the street in front of a hospital in Florida and they relied heavily on ham radio for three days. You just simply never know.