ad: SteppIR-1

Observations Today

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY5U, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

First, I was listening in my truck to 40M to two guys in a QSO. One was complaining about a relative who had trashed a house and the other guy was not really interested, so his goal was to just keep the other guy talking with a "yeah man" or worse yet, a cliche of some sort. Yep he was a northerner. Every conclusion the guy with the idiot relative came to, the wood chuck had a cliche for it.

Aother QSO had two guys having a septate conversation together. Each was talking about something totally different pertaining to THEMSELVES during their turn transmitting,

Next, I saw an eBay add for a glass insulator described as "Steampunk". Apparently this is the new name for vintage crap.

Finally I heard a QSO with three guys, and one was definitely a "stream of consciousness" guy. When something came to his mind, he just waited for the other guys to take a breath then he rambled on sometimes on a completely different subject in the middle of another guy's transmission.

Just listening to the nuts the USA has as amateurs is a pastime in itself.

KA2CZU, W4IOA and N3AB like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad but true... otherwise I have nothing else to add at this juncture ;)

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's why I like CW.....it's hard to get too stream-of-unconsciousness with CW

NL7W, WA9UAA, K7WFM and 1 other person like this.
  4. KB9OFM

KB9OFM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KB9OFM

KB9OFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mybe they knew you were listening

K1TGX, KE5OFJ and NL7W like this.
  6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck, some people I know sound that way in person.

K9ASE, N5PAR, WR2E and 1 other person like this.
  7. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Conversation is hard... Especially with strangers. . . Especially with a typically introverted group of people.

K9ASE, NL7W and VE3LDJ like this.
  8. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes I feel like odd man out when it come to amateur radio. I'm an outgoing person who never meets a stranger and likes to talk. My Dad and Mother were the same way so it's in my genes I guess. Don't get me wrong I know some other amateurs like me but a lot of them are as WF4W describes.

Charles mentioned one guy breaking in when the other operator took a breath taking over and changing the subject. I get a kick out of the ones who do that, then the original operator starts transmitting again and both end up doubling for several minutes. It's very funny.

9. KI5WW

KI5WW Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger roger, QSL, yer 59

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Patrick, I always enjoy finding a true conversationalist. There aren't many subjects I can't join in a conversation about and worry about sounding like a complete dolt. You're a rare bird in amateur radio and I hope you find people to really chat with.

Most amateurs want to talk about themselves, which is ok with me, but they don't realize how little they have to talk about. I ask questions to bring someone along and it kinda goes nowhere. All they want to hear is how strong their signal is and their audio is very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.