Observations on Field Day FT8

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Just put in about 12 hours on FT-8 at WA6BGS. Hope I worked U . 20M 14080

I never checked 14074, as 080 was the suggested FD Freq. I rarely was able to call anyone, I just called CQ the whole time and each time had stations answer. Many times several stations would answer. FT8 would choose the first answering, so many stations were left hanging. I tried to go back to the stations that also called, but they were long gone by then. Calling the stations calling CQ didn't seem to work as they had already a QSO by the time I could call.

So I would just call CQ and see who came back.
    One time 5W1SA called me, another time, YN1somethng called me. They were both easily worked.

Even though my beam was at a miserable 40ft, I still worked all over the East Coast and midwest.

The main problem I had was that I'd call a CQ, a station would answer and then I would reply automatically for many many times. Sometimes almost a dozen times!
    So later in the day, I decide to just move on after 4 or 5 calls if they didn't answer. It wasn't a case of poor ops on their end. I guess they were drowned out by QRM.

20 Stayed busy all day until around 5 PM when it started to taper off. Now there were holes in the watefall and I could find a place to park and call CQ. the QSO rate jumped dramatically. Maybe the East Coast stations, now in the night, went to 40M. Around 6PM I threw in the towel. I will be back tomorrow morning around 6AM. I am just TOO OLD for this ALL NIGHTER stuff, but AF6LJ decided to do it. Think she will be pretty worn out by tomorrow morning.

So FT8 was very productive, but I could only log about 20 stations an hour. The rate jumped up when I decided to call CQ again after about 5 tries. One N3 worked me about 6 times. No way to tell him DUPE so I just waited till he worked me and moved on. I guess I am in his log!

So we will see how it goes tomorrow morning. I will probably work alotta FAR EAST Before 20M opens to the midwest and East Coast. Field Day ends at 11AM, so I might run out of time, but the band was SMOKING at 11AM this morning! Think I work more on 20SSB, but FT8 was nice, cuz I could call a CQ, and go get a cold drink and come back and see who I worked!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  2. WA6MHZ

Ok who is N3SRC and i am in your log10 times!

3. WA6MHZ

14080 is much more relaxed than 14074! 074 is a complete MADHOUSE!!! NOTTA HZ available anywhere on the waterfall!

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They must like you.

5. WA6MHZ

Guess they want a qsl!

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Logarithmic contesting? ;)

WU8Y and N0TZU like this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, Pat, that is the callsign of the Susquehanna County ARC.

The fellow that was killed in a tower accident last week, Lee Parsons, N3LPJ, was the President of that club.

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been very disappointed by the buggy FD auto-sequence functionality in WSJT-X.

Had I known it would misbehave so badly when auto-sequencing, I would have written my own sequencing software to drive it a few weeks ago.

I notice others struggling with the same problem(s).

9. WA6MHZ

So sorry to hear about Lee! Maybe new members in theclub want topractice makingFT8 contacts and i amthe easiest station to work!

10. WA6MHZ

They just worked me for theTwelveth time!!!!!