Observations (and a suggestion) re Operating Awards

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by N4XU, Dec 31, 2018.

?

Should the World Continents Award be changed?

1. YES, as suggested

66.7%
  2. NO, don't fix what's not broken

33.3%
  3. YES, but in a an alternate manner (post your suggestion in the thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4XU

N4XU Ham Member QRZ Page

I returned to the airwaves about 15 months ago, after a 20 year absence. It's nice to see all the changes and improvements, including the QRZ.com services. I just finished reading the entire 6 pages (whew!) of the "QRZ Operating Awards Official Release!" thread, and here are my observations AWA a suggestion.

The awards program seems well thought out, and does not exactly duplicate other existing award programs. It also address the problem of low confirmation rates by providing an incentive for people to upload their logs to QRZ (or download from LoTW). The one shortcoming I see is in regard to the WCA (World Continents Award). The purpose of any operating award is to recognize outstanding achievement. So why does the WCA not require confirmation of all 7 continents (only 6 are required - Antarctica has been excluded)? I understand that it's a balancing act between providing an incentive vs not being perceived as "impossible." However for me (and I suspect others), it renders the award pointless. Granted, I'm a 51 year licensee... newbies undoubtedly feel differently! Before anyone says it is impossible to confirm Antarctica on QRZ, see the screenshot below.
    upload_2018-12-31_8-31-32.png
    I'm glad to see that QRZ has been receptive to member suggestions (e.g., making the award page/banners visible or not visible), so here's mine. Retain the WCA as-is so that it it is achievable for people who are new to the hobby or DXing. For the others, add a Platinum-level (or whatever you want to call it) award recognition for working and confirming all 7 continents. Comments?

2. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Just as sponsored by the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU), the Worked All Continents award is issued for working and confirming all six continents. These are North America, South America, Oceania, Asia, Europe and Africa.as Sponsored by the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU), the Worked All Continents award is issued for working and confirming all six continents. These are North America, South America, Oceania, Asia, Europe and Africa.
    See: http://www.arrl.org/wac

Since Antarctica is not populated except for scientific stations, it is not included as a continent in WAC awards.

3. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Way back when... I learned: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I think that applies here.