ad: AbAuRe-1

NYU Files Petition for Declaratory Ruling to Clarify 97.113(a)4 of the Commission's Rules

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6EM, Oct 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's precisely what happened, but it wasn't described that way in the amateur press. Initial press releases omitted the business office intermediary contact. Tragic loss of life.

KX4O likes this.
  2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

EPIRBs are the notification of choice, anymore. Why? Claimed accuracy globally of +/- 100 yards.
    http://www.boatus.org/epirb/work/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjsLY5JDZ5QIVA-DICh0OIgazEAAYAiAAEgI5-_D_BwE

I got our son one since he kayaks in the Gulf near Galveston....

There was a news story on TV in Pensacola recently where a kayaker with an EPIRB summoned the Coast Guard to a boat that had capsized and saved two crew from drowning. No, Winlink shouldn't be even a fourth level choice in a seaborne disaster.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. I see that his specialty is "intellectual property." Perhaps KA9Q uses him to shelter his brainstormed ideas since he's very near San Diego.

4. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

So are all the secrets out now? Anything left unrevealed?

5. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

On page 7 of the ARFSI presentation they show a map of HF Pactor WL RMS stations...
    [​IMG]
    Central Europe has about the same density as the US east coast, but I was a bit surprised by the lack of HF Pactor RMS stations in France and Spain. Anyone know why this is?

6. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Something having to do with F6FBB's approach to compression?

7. K0IDT

Nope, looks like everything except their negotiation position is out in the open. I've managed to get through the first 17 pages of the slides, it's not easy trying to get past outright lies contained in that document. Before anyone gets their panties in a twist over the choice of words, "lying", remember I never put anything in print I can't back up with facts, some facts direct from the source itself. It can be summed up in very few words, it's all about Winlink desperate to save their network after years of abuse. It was never about Winlink or Pactor, some chose to make it that way and now they are reaping the reward for their arrogance.

Since it's now all about Winlink, the system, perhaps the FCC should close the gate on the operation due to the fact that their clients and sysops have "ignored" (W3QA's word) US State Dept. 3rd party treaty rules for a couple of decades. Yup, one of the lies in the slides--they're enforcing 3rd party country rules on the system NOW with no authority to do so--where has the Winlink administration been on this issue up until a few months ago?

8. K0IDT

Take a look at a current Pactor RMS map for the same area. Some jurisdictions have very strict 3rd party/internet gateway regulations, and some government run telcoms see it as competition skirting their fee services.

This looks a lot different than the deceptive map they included in the slides. Nothing in the UK either, and most of the rest of EU.

upload_2019-11-7_18-0-30.png

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

There are lies, and then there are Damn lies

10. K0IDT

.....and then there are statistics as presented in the reference section of the slides.

That will probably earn me another dreaded footnote :rolleyes: