NXDN & P25

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by AB5WX, Nov 5, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB5WX

AB5WX QRZ Lifetime Member #313 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I am wanting to get more involved in both of these modes and I’m looking for recommendations on NXDN and P25 radios, and maybe some good places to get them from (outside Ebay).

Is there any advice you might have about them?

2. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NXDN is Kenwood or Icom. P25 is mainly Motorola, Kenwood, or Icom as well. There are a few others out there, but not really worth the hassle. Now the newer Kenwoods actually cover both in the same radio. For example, the NX-5200/5300 and NX-5700/5800 can cover NXDN, DMR, and P25 (2 at once) with the various licenses. Makes it very convenient, and Kenwoods are still pretty reasonable.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    AB5WX likes this.
  3. AB5WX

AB5WX QRZ Lifetime Member #313 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thank you for that, @N3FAA. I'll give them a look. I appreciate you coming back to me on here. 73

N3FAA likes this.
  4. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where can one purchase one of the Kenwood NX-xxxx radios? I have also heard that you must purchase it with manual programming enabled.

5. N3FAA

Any commercial Kenwood dealer would have them. There are some even with ham friendly pricing if you search around. I bought my last one on eBay, though you obviously need to be cautious over there. :)

I don't know what the manual programming is that you're referring to. I just bought the radio and the programming software and everything worked great. The most important thing to remember though is that you have to buy them with the various licenses (i.e. DMR, P25, etc.). By default, they only come analog and NXDN. So the other licenses are going to raise the price of the radio a bit. You can also buy the licenses after the fact. But it's great having multiple modes in one radio, and generally cheaper than you would pay for multiple radios.

6. W4EAE

I have see several YouTube videos where the comment was made that a license was require to enable programming channels from the face of the radio.

I have not, nor will I ever buy software.

7. N3FAA

You will if you want to use this radio. ;)

8. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Nearly every "extra" feature in these radios is activated by purchased entitlement keys. Motorola does this with many of their products, too. Be very careful selecting what you need and make sure you get the wide FM otherwise it won't work on most of the analog ham repeaters. This is just like Motorola XPR models.

9. W4EAE

To each his own, but that make the decision very easy for me.:)