NVIS Screwdriver antenna

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by NT5CC, Sep 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NT5CC

NT5CC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone tried a spring mounted atop the coil of a screwdriver antenna to facilitate NVIS ops? If so, how did it work out?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How would a spring (coil/inductor) mounted atop an adjustable coil/inductor be useful for NVIS?

The pattern will still be low angle. oriented towards the horizon.

3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're on 75 meters, MOBILE during the day..... Most of the signals you hear will be Near Vertical Incidence....

4. KA0HCP

Perhaps the OP is confused and thinking that he would be creating a directional Helical Antenna. He won't.

It would just be easier to build a 40m dipole, or a Loaded 40m Dipole if space, or mobility is a design factor.

5. NT5CC

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  6. NT5CC

Perhaps the respondor is confused with the term "mobile." And not, folding over a vertical would hardly create a helical anything.

7. NT5CC

Well, that certainly answered my question. Thank you so much...

8. NT5CC

The question concerned a spring not a "coil/inductor." I would have thought the intent to bend the whip over thus changing the takeoff angle to be obvious. My bad..

KA0HCP likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

The OP never mentioned the word "mobile". The first responder (moi) never commented on the second responders' introduction of 'mobile" . :)

10. NT5CC

You are absolutely correct, my very bad. I thought, given this to be a forum on "Mobile Radio Systems" and the most common use of screwdriver antennae is mobile ops, well... it might be understood. I forgot where I was posting...

KA0HCP likes this.