Nuances Between IC-7300, FT DX1200 and FT-991A

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG5NNA, Sep 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

I had a TS590 and now have a Ic7300.
    Both are great in RX for me, but in CW RX the IC7300 sounds way better in audio as the TS590S.
    In SSB I loved the TS590S RX.
    In CW the RX of the TS590 is very very good but the audio quality sucks big time.

As many others say the modern rigs are quite good even a FT450D will do not do bad at all.
    Even my FT857D beat every-one in my surroundings in DX on 80 and 40.
    Why simple I was the one with the full quarter wave vertical on 80 mtrs and that could be tuned at the bottom of the vertical as a full half wave vertical on 40M .
    All others had wire dipoles with a radiation pattern totally unsuited for DX on 80 and 40 mtrs.
    In Local QSOs all the others beat me, they had high angle radiation patterns needed for NVIS radiation patterns for local qso's.
    I had very low take of angles from my vertical wich was totaly unsuited for local qso's on 80 and 40 mtrs.

The same goes for 10 mtrs, I used my cheap old President Lincoln (Uniden 2830) a 20 watt 10/11 mtr rig
    And i had no troubles in even beating a TS950SDX back then
    Why ?
    I was the one using a monoband 5 element yagi , all others used far less powerfull performing antennas on 10 mtrs.
    For a while i was about the strongest Durch ham on 10 mtr using an old cheapo Italien Zetagi CB amp with 2 x EL519 (something like a 6KD6 sweeptube) with 100 watts SSB.

Only 2 things matter , where is my antenna situated and what are the local QRM levels, and what is my antenna , the rig that uses the antenna is far less important as the antenna system itself.

73 Jos

2. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What he said.

What he said, too.

I am waiting either for predistortion to enter midrange "conventional " and/or Flex rigs, or buy an ANAN. I have heard the Anans and looked at their sigs on the air - amazing.

PA1ZP and K2XT like this.
  3. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bill

I work someone with an Anan very often and he sounds amazing and his sig is superclean.
    But I must say he is no dummy he knowa how to set-up his rig to minimize splatter and junk.

I have seen Icom 7410's on the air with lovely signals, and i have seen overdriven ones with awfull wide signals, the operator has a big part in this too.

But i do agree todays very good recievers deserve better transmitters.

Biggest problem with me now is lack of RX due to an awfull lot of chinese electronic junk to charge tablets, mobile phones, laptops, to feed routers, TV sets, computers , cheap junk powerline communication are sold here by the hundreds.
    For me the threat in hamming is more in this direction as the bad transmitters in the ham rigs.
    Local QRM has been rising an awfull lot the past 10 yrs.

You cannot play ham if you can recieve nothing.

73 Jos

WA8FOZ likes this.
  4. K4HCQ

K4HCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Since writing this and I assume you got yourself a 991 (A?). If so anything to add for having now about a year?

5. KG5NNA

KG5NNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just as follow up, yes I did get the 991 on a really good deal at the time. The 991A's were about to come so the 991's were on sale and then HRO opened a store in Milwaukee and they discounted it another $150.
    I have been very pleased and gotten great reviews on quality. I got y 2m/70cm antenna up and am hitting local repeaters quite well. Hopefully within the month I'll get my vertical up and be able to get out on HF.

Thanks very much for all the guidance!

6. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't help you with the radios. But on the antenna: The 4BTV will need a good radial field. If you are putting it on a post -- great! Put it up say 10', and run elevated radials, say 3 per band, cut to the nominal 234/Freq(MHz) and it should work great, for 40/20/15/10. If that's a bit too much work you can ground mount, with "lots" of 30' radials (like 50 of 'em). If ground mounted I think you can skip the radial plate and tilt base and save some bucks--neither is required.

I have the 6BTV and do like the antenna. 80m is a bit of a joke, but it beats nothing. And I've had some nice Q's on 30m. And I put up an 80m dipole which I should be able to load up on WARC bands (once I finish running balanced line to my tuner). If you're not a CW guy thought... then 4BTV is a nice antenna as it is.

I agree with WA7DU, the antenna is where to spend the money though. My only comment is that it's nice to have more than one antenna. If snow & ice takes one down, or Mr Murphy visits, then you still have at least one antenna. No reason to limit oneself to one antenna.

7. KG5NNA

I have the 5BTV and have already gotten all the necessary things from DXE including Radial Plate, Tilt Base and the antenna. I'm not putting mine up 10-feet, just doing a regular by the numbers install with about 40 radials off the base plate. I'm not one to be getting on top of the house (son-in-law put my 2m/70cm up for me). With the Tilt Base, I'm hoping that I can bring it down with the winds and thunderstorms we get around her at times.

Funny, I had an Alpha-Delta antenna given to me as a gift from someone that replaced theirs. Again, I wasn't gonna go putting up tall masts, so on a hunch I just strung it around my fence about 6' high, ran the ground to a copper rod, then ran about a 70' ground radial around the fence. Darned if I didn't receive 20, 40 and 80m pretty darned good when propagation was favorable. Never really got out through on transmission. So I guess maybe I'll pick up a second-hand shortwave and use that as the antenna! Meanwhile, we'll hope for a clear weekend soon!

8. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not too surprised that it didn't transmit well, antenna very low to the ground. Low antennas do help reduce RX noise, and most HF rigs have an excess of gain on HF anyhow, so you'd receive reasonably well, despite large losses.

9. KG5NNA

Yeah, I wasn’t that surprised, but a local HAM thought it might be worth a shot. I didn’t really know what else to do with it since I’m averse to climbing on top of my roof! Guess I could get a 20’ mast or something. It’s designed to be a sloper. Otherwise, it’ll go away once I get my BTV up.

10. KB2E

KB2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

E="KG5NNA, post: 4433730, member: 798532"]I have the 5BTV and have already gotten all the necessary things from DXE including Radial Plate, Tilt Base and the antenna. I'm not putting mine up 10-feet, just doing a regular by the numbers install with about 40 radials off the base plate. I'm not one to be getting on top of the house (son-in-law put my 2m/70cm up for me). With the Tilt Base, I'm hoping that I can bring it down with the winds and thunderstorms we get around her at times.

Funny, I had an Alpha-Delta antenna given to me as a gift from someone that replaced theirs. Again, I wasn't gonna go putting up tall masts, so on a hunch I just strung it around my fence about 6' high, ran the ground to a copper rod, then ran about a 70' ground radial around the fence. Darned if I didn't receive 20, 40 and 80m pretty darned good when propagation was favorable. Never really got out through on transmission. So I guess maybe I'll pick up a second-hand shortwave and use that as the antenna! Meanwhile, we'll hope for a clear weekend soon![/QUOTE]

Hopefully you have it up and running. I have a 6BTV I picked up at a hamfest for a song, less than 1/4 new cost. The guy just hated it. I put it up with the DXE tilt base and radial plate and 48 radials. This is my main antenna and I love it. Before I was done I put it on the air without radials and worked a lot of DX in a weekend. After I finished the radial field the reports were better, the antenna tuned easily and I easily work DX around the globe with 100 watts. I have to say it's the best non-directional antenna I have ever owned. Put out at least 48 radials out if you can and read up on doing it easily. They don't have to be buried. Simply mow the lawn down to 1 inch, lay them out and use lawn staples to hold them down every 3 or 4 feet. The grass will grow in and in a few weeks you can mow right over them. By the next year you won't be able to find them without really digging around in the grass. Also, DXE sells braided groung straps. I highly recommend running at least 2 from the antenna base to the the radial plate. This brought my 6BTV into "tune" instantly. Before I did this I was having problems getting the tuning correct and usuable on all bands. My setup before the braid was the bulkhead connector on the radial plate which took the feed line from the house a shot jumper then went to the direct feed on the base of the 6BTV. So essentially the coupling for 1200 feet of wire on the ground was being carried by 12 inches of braid to the radial plate. You can't carry a radial field of 1200 or more feet on a 12 inch feed line braid. I know, I know, people will say it should work. All I can say is once I coupled that antenna mount with the radial plate via 2 braided ground straps my SWR dropped at least .7 on all bands and I had an antenna I could tune for any 40-50 kc section of 80. I have ordered another strap with some other stuff I ordered and will install it when the snow melts. It may not help but it certainly won't hurt. SWR is as follows: 10-30 less than 1.6. 40 1.9 and 40kc of 80 1.6. It even tunes on 6 but I doubt I'm getting out much. I do touch things up with the tuner on 40. If I play around more I am confident I can bring it in to under 1.4-5 on all bands but 40.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017