Nuances Between IC-7300, FT DX1200 and FT-991A

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG5NNA, Sep 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DU has it right. I have never had a true top of the line radio but in the past had some excellent antennas. A decent (but not great) radio, a modest (1KW not 1.5 KW) amp and good antennas have gotten me to needing only P5 to have them all. They have also gotten me 7 B DXCC. Put up the best antenna system you can and even a very modest rig will do very well

2. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Plus add a great deal of spare time to DX....

3. KG5NNA

KG5NNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate that thought on antennas. I live in a basic residential lot in a suburb of Dallas, less than a mile from a repeater. The space I have at home is pretty limited for an antenna. I bought the ARRL book "Small Antennas for Small Spaces" and I'm getting through that. We have a single story home, so height will be an issue with any antenna. That almost dictates me getting a mast of some sort just to get some height. I have only a standard lot size, no trees at all and I'm not a spring chicken at 64. So I'm not going to climbing around. We have a nice back yard, but have a dog and grandkids. That means that sticking a vertical in the middle of it isn't a real option for me either. So since I am not in the most optimal place and don't have those multiple acres in the wilderness for a 150' tower, I'm going to have to go with what I can.

After getting suggestions and testimonials, I initially thought I'd go with a MyAntennas EFHW=4010 (http://myantennas.com/wp/product/efhw-4010/) and hopefully find a way to get it to fit. This one seems to have the capability for 40 to 10m, with SWRs 1.2-3.0. I do have a 2m/70xm antenna that was given to me by a good friend, and I'll probably simply buy a 10'f section of PVC pipe, mount that to it and put that up just outside my shack window for UHF/VHF. Right now, I'm looking to get online and get started (Got my Tech/Gen in April).

4. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Korky,

You have good soil there in the DFW area and a 1/4 wave trap vertical will make a fine first antenna for HF. They are affordable, provide good elevation angles, are mounted on the ground, and cover multiple bands. I recommend you get the 6BTV from DXengineering in their package, and install it to their directions. The package is found here: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-hsr-6btv-p1

The key to 1/4 wave verticals is good soil (you should have that) and radials. The DXengineering package gives you everything you need to put up the antenna correctly and effectively. You will cover all the most popular HF bands, and 30 meters as well. If you go this route, have a local ham who knows a thing or two come help you tune the antenna with you and install it with you (beer and pizza usually gets a few assistants). The 1/4 trap vertical has its flaws, but the ease of installation, the respectable performance when installed correctly, low angle of radiation for DX, and the fact that it supports itself make it worth it for those who have small lots and cannot get wire effectively in the air.

Good luck!
    Evan

5. KG5NNA

Evan...thank you! I looked at that antenna (actually the 4BTV) but the concern I had was that the instructions were explicit that it had to be mounted 20-30 ft from a building or standing structure and not near ANY metal such as gutters, metal fence posts, etc. That would mean it would have to literally be in the middle of my back yard, which isn't an option (did I mention I'm married!) I had thought that maybe I could put it up on the west side of my house, bolted to the house and put down about a foot or two (that would minimize my coax run to just a few . They recommend 2 feet down, in cement and like I said, 20-30 feet away from the house. That's why I looked at the EFHW-4010 by MyAntennas, as it's good 40 to 10m and I can run it from the top of a 30' mast over the top of the house and sloped down toward a back fence post (each end I could use rope or an insulator.

6. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KG5NNA

Probably not a flagpole. Trying to decide whether to do an inverted V or sloper for the EFHW. Either way I will have to get a 25-30' mast to get above the house (it's only about 15-20' at it's highest point being a single level home. That's at least work on the ground, dig a hole, pour cement, and maybe not even that, if I can secure it to the side of the house. I'm thinking that I could even use that to put my 2m/70cm antenna on also, killing 2 birds with one stone. Both cable lines will drop down about the same length to an MFJ Window Pass Through to my shack. The FT-991 has two inputs, one for HF and one for 2m/70cm. That should get me on the air on both ends of the Amateur Bands (well, from HF from 10-40m at least, which is what I'm interested in at this time).

I have gotten advice from a few hams that told me just to run insulated copper wire around the outside of my home (like the cable companies do when installing your TV service), and then run the two leads to ladder line and into an MFJ's Balanced line input poles. With no SWR meter, I would imagine this to be a bit inefficient and limiting, but it would be inexpensive. It would also be very unidirectional I would imagine.

8. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Korky:

Just a suggestion... the EFHF-4010 is very small, light and made to experiment with easily. It folds up to nothing and can be carried in a large pocketbook, then deployed on a moment's notice. And you can hang it in your back yard a variety of ways, and as long as its not directly on the ground it will provide a functional antenna. So I suggest you get a radio, drape the wire antenna from a tree and over a fence post or what ever you have, try it out and get an idea of what work and what does not. The antenna does NOT have to be that far off the ground to get results. And note that the antenna will generally radiate in both directions broadside to the wire run. Once you've played with it a few times, you are likely to see possibilities that were not obvious before. And its best to do this before you commit to a permanent installation.

If you'd like to talk directly about your new venture in amateur radio, just send me your contact info at my email address at the top of my QRZ page. I'd be happy to chat.

Brian - K6BRN

9. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I may be mistaken, but was the decision made to purchase the 991 instead of the 7300?

10. KG5NNA

I think that the FT-991 fits my budget and needs better than the 7300, mostly because it has HF/VHF/UHF all in one.