ad: chuckmartin

Now I guess I need a BB gun

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KL7AJ, Sep 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I needed a SINGLE ball bearing to fix a capacitor on an antenna tuner. Just ONE little steel ball to go on the end of the shaft where there was a little divot for the purpose. I went ALL OVER TOWN to find anyone who had a steel ball. You can still find a radiator cap for a Model A in this town...but a steel ball? No way.
    Well, I found ye old sports store was selling flagons of BBs in the handy 2500 BB size. So I thought I'd give it a try...they were ABOUT the size I needed. But I only needed one, not 2500. So now I have 2499 copper clad BBs excess to my need. I guess I need to re-acquire a BB gun again.

Now you know.

2. W7TRD

W7TRD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned a long time ago, when I take "stuff" like that apart, to put it in a cardboard box with the top removed and work thru the opening.

ESPECIALLY antenna rotors, those ball bearings don't get away.

WQ4G, K3XR and W7UUU like this.
  4. KL7AJ

Well, the ball was missing when I inherited the antenna tuner. I'm pretty good about not losing parts. Most of the time. Occasionally.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

ABSOLUTELY!!! Same here - anytime I take stuff apart that potentially has "small easy to lose bits" I do it over a plastic tub that's way bigger than the item. ANYTHING can fall down but will be caught.

The folks that do the spacewalks in the ISS and such use similar techniques - "capture devices" to keep bits from falling up, left right down or wherever in the weightless of space. We only have basic gravity to deal with :)

Oh, and a really important lesson I learned - NEVER EVER EVER take anything apart with tiny parts over a gravel driveway :eek:

Dave
    W7UUU

W1TRY and K9ASE like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Like the magnetic trays that come in various sizes. When taking a rig apart it's great for the nuts, screws and other hardware. Assuming they are magnetically attracted. Harbor Freight often has them on sale.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  7. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Get a magnet, wrapped in in kitchen towel, n get down an yer hands n' knees. Now, ya wondering why I said wrap it in kitchen towel eh? Ya' could tie it to piece of string and drag it along.

Well when I'm on mi' hands n' kness I usually pick wire clippings, nails n' screws up - everything but what I'm looking for...!

Removing the towel is a darn site quicker than picking em' off one by one.

Dave

8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of fun can be had - with a BB-gun .

If you were a kid , a lot of trouble could be had - but that was fun too ;)

9. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

A "flagon"???:D

For many years I really enjoyed restoring small Japanese diesel "rice tractors". One was a great little 4WD Hinomoto painted orange and sold as an Allis Chalmers. One of the front wheel 4WD pods/ball joints needed a new seal. It was about a 4-5 inch cast iron two piece globe. I got it open and a couple of hundred ball bearings spilled out. They were not in a bearing race. They resided in a very shallow channel between the top and bottom hemispheres. I think the service manual listed 200 balls in the assembly. After replacing the $2 seal, I filled the channel with heavy grease to hold the BB-size bearings as I pressed the upper and lower units back together. I put as many of the BB size balls back in the channel as I could find. It was only about 100. It still worked perfectly for at least another two years before I sold it.

I'm sure the owner of my old workshop is still finding little ball bearings whenever cleaning the slab floor.:confused:

10. KL7AJ