Now Don't Laugh - Packet ?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by G0KDT, May 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

As the title says...:). and yes I could use a software solution, but this is almost for nostalgia's sake.

I am restoring an old Packet tnc 2 clone but the current installed PMS 1.1.6 eprom seems to be flakey after all the years.

I've found via google references to download areas on this QRZ site that are now long gone. I've also scanned the TAPR website but got a bit lost.

I have the 2764 state machine eprom but not the core TNC eprom. Does anybody else know of a source for the eprom Z80 code?

Thank you.
    Phil

2. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Also an ex-packet fan from days gone by :)

I have the binary file for TNC2 version E1.1.6D
    I also have an EPROM with the same code.
    You are welcome to either or both.

Or maybe :

ftp://ftp.tapr.org/software_lib/tnc/

Frank

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  3. G0KDT

Hi Frank,

Many many thanks for the link, I've downloaded and will take a quick look at what we get.

As to packet, I am relatively newly returned to amateur radio after a long hiatus - FT8 doesn't convey quite the fun that packet did and other digital voice modes which I know can include data are a bit of anathema to me in 'radio terms'.

I'd built an G0BSX issue5 TNC2 clone many years ago and it worked well, but like a goon I forgot the pcb mounted lithium cell when I went QRT for a few years... you can guess the mess. SO I've set about a deep clean and repairing bits of lost pcb ( glutton for punishment, well maybe ) and I'm going to get it going again. In addition a mate who has also returned is building up a board, hence I tried to read the eproms on mine of which only the state machine read.

I'll see how we get on, as this is a bit of slow burn process, if the TAPR ftp files don't do it then I could be asking for your assistance again.

Kindest regards
    Phil

4. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Phil, best of luck with the project.
    I too built several G0BSX TNC's and indeed still have them, some with G3RUH 9k6 MODEMS.
    They had a fair bit of use in their day...

Frank

5. G0KDT

Frank,

I just looked you up.... :D can't believe posting up on here, first to get a reply and then just how close we are. I like the pics and smiled a lot at the statements made about kit and what comprises 'real engineers' which brings to mind one that used to circulate many years ago about 'programmers' and 'Quiche Eaters' where to be a programmer you had to deal in binary, octal and hex and how the high levels (in those days) of pascal etc. weren't 'Real programmers'. I think this still stands given the moore's law progression not in transistors seems to apply o the need program memory workspace and storage. Can you imaging just how rapid an I7 cored pc would be if it wasn't reliant on swades of bloated and very often unused code to support the general libraries of modern coding languages.

Stay safe out there in the wilds of the moorland territories, we're looking trying to stay clear of the 'day trippers' here at the coast.

Best 73
    Phil