Novice Rig Roundup - This week

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N6EV, Feb 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

Warming up the DX20. Nothing went pop, hopeful sign.

2. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been non stop busy here since the NRR started. I'm hoping to get on the air with the Century 21 a little before it ends.

3. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I had fun in the 2017 NRR. I was using my new Bayou Jumper kit along with my HW-16 both at QRP levels. Both have XTAL controlled transmitters. The HW-16 has been modified to reduce output power to less than 1 watt. I made a total of 40 contacts on 80 and 40 meters. I worked 20 multipliers for a final score of roughly 4600 points. My best DX was VK7CW at over 10,000 miles on 5 watts. It was fun hearing many vintage Novice rigs on the air. The online logging feature was great ! It made it easy to participate in NRR. Many thanks to the organizers that keep NRR going. It's good to see NRR is healthy and growing. -Joe N3HEE

4. N3PDT

N3PDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the NRR was a hoot! Gave out a lot of 5xx C reports, but was also impressed by the signal quality of most of those old "novice era" rigs. Heard a number of great sounding Heathkit DX-xx, Knight T-50, and various homebrews. Also heard some pretty sad sounding examples of those, too!

Out of six possible transmitters, I got five on the air, and made contacts with four, and spent a lot of time with a soldering iron "under the hood" of all of them but one. I killed a 6146 and an 807 (different rigs), and put new filter caps in two of the little commercial transmitters.

Line up from the N3PDT shack:

Homebrew "A 100 watt Transmitter" from the "Understanding Amateur Radio" ARRL publication
    Heathkit DX-40
    Globe Scout 65
    B&W 5100
    A 6-component, one-tube homebrew using 6AQ5
    A classic little 6AG7 one-tuber homebrew

On the repair bench for next event:
    DX-60 / HR-10 combo
    Viking II

On the radar for acquisition:

Harvey Wells Bandmaster
    Knight T-50
    AN/ARC 5 "command" set

Interested in joining the fun? Check out 7.100-7.125 on Monday evenings.

www.novicerigroundup.com

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Was one of those SHTF weeks for me, not much air time but did get to work AF4K as his first contact in NRR this year (just got qsl card says 0000Z , thanks Bry!) and Joe, N3HEE (nice to meet ya on the air Joe!). those were my only 2 NRR qso this year. Fun anyway!