Novice Rig Roundup - This week

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N6EV, Feb 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N6EV

N6EV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok folks, it's time to break out that 2NT', DX-20, DX-35, DX-40, DX-60, AT-1, T50, T60, T100... I could go on and on. The Novice Rig Roundup started today and runs all the way through this coming week, completing on Sunday Feb 26th at 2359Z. The premise is simple. Get on the air with those great Novice rigs of yesteryear! So grab some 'rocks', or that drifty VFO and get the tubes warm up!

The Novice Rig Roundup (NRR) is structured as a week long contest, but you certainly don't have to treat it like a contest. Most NRR QSOs go beyond the stated contest exchange to add additional details and pleasantries. You'll likely hear those chirpy, whoopy, drifty signals that once filled the Novice bands. Remember to tune around across the band after CQing to grab other crystal controlled stations.

Extra points are gained by using crystal control, and for lower power levels. There are also bonus points for working stations with the old WNx, KNx novice callsigns and the number of different novice rigs you use through the week. You may also hear NRR enthusiast group numbers exchanged.

For more information, check out the Novice Rig Roundup homepage at: http://NoviceRigRoundup.com/
    There's also a 'SKED' page where real-time chat occurs during the event: http://n8fq.org/sked/index.php?board=nrru

Paul N6EV NRR #122
    http://N6EV.com/
    'dit dit'

W7UUU likes this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HW-16 all warmed up.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite amusing to hear 5NN from a chirpy rig...

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not likely in this event.... my 2NT has a bit of AC hum in the signal and I'm getting 588 and 587 reports.

Have you actually participated in this event? I'm guessing not.... IMO, the reports are actually quite honest

Just my 2/100 of a dollar

Dave
    W7UUU

5. N1OOQ

Exchanged with one station today... not actually participating or anything. It was nice to QSO with someone who wasn't in the big DX contest. But like I said, that whoowhoowhoowhoowhoop of the 5NN was quite amusing...

6. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there should be bonus points for distance worked. I worked VK7CW this morning with 5 watts. Distance of over 10,000 miles. Lots of fun !

W5BIB likes this.
  7. N1OOQ

Well you know the QRPers standard... miles/watt. I don't think I've hit 100 mpw yet since I got back on the air.

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good deal !! what band ??

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a listen sometime when the AWA is having one of their events. Some of those sigs are really fun to listen to... and chase up or down the band.

10. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually have good propagation to VK land on 40 meters right around their sunset which is now at about 0930Z