'Nother Newbie

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KB3SAV, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KB3SAV

KB3SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I'm gonna focus more on 2 meter anyway. So the 3.5 watt power downgrade on 220 mhz shouldn't hurt that much.
    But what's the sticker for?

2. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

AGH YAESU!!!!!!!! NO GO ICOM!!!!!

3. KI2Y

KI2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a shiny "Yaesu" sticker. Like Hurst gives you when you buy one of their products.

4. W9MAV

I have a shiny yaesu sticker. It is on my computer monitor. Why do I hate Yaesu when I have a sticker on my monitor?

Anyway I would recommend getting a Single band 2m Icom radio.

KC9MAV

5. KB3SAV

KB3SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

As for the sticker, cool.
    As for the Icom comment, too late, I've already made up my mind. Unless you can show me a handheld that's better than the VX-6R for the same amount or cheaper, I am set on the 6R.

6. W9MAV

Nope I can not find you a cheaper radio but I can find you a quality radio.

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/ht/0690.html

7. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The VX-6R is a good radio and you will be happy with it. I have the vx7 and it does just fine. In retrospect I should have bought the vx6 since I dont use the 6m option. I am in agreement with Dave, I prefer Icom but they do not make a comparable HT.

Whatever you choose remember to have fun.

8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, everybody thinks they will just buy a little HT and see if Ham Radio is for them, and for a few people that works out. I suspect there are quite a few active repeaters around The Pitt, but I don't really know. The problem is that with an HT, it's a bit of a crap-shoot. Unfortunately, I have seen way too many people get discouraged that way almost instantly, and end up dropping the hobby because they never got to the good stuff.

In a lot of the country, there really isn't that much on 2 meters anymore. Even in big cities, it might be hard to find a conversation outside of commute hours.

Now, you can increase the odds of improving your enjopyment in a couple ways.

1. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If all you have is 2 meter FM, you won't catch anything that's happening on the other bands. However, adding UHF FM may or may not add much to your flexibilty.

2. Try to find out what's really available in your area before you spend any money. What bands do people actually use, and what does it take to really use them? Are there specific requirements for rigs for ARES or SKYWARN?

3. Go for maximum coverage area. An HT in flat country has a range of just a few miles. A 50 watt mobile rig with an antenna on your roof has a range of up to about 100 miles. There are hundreds more repeaters in range of the home station than an HT.

4. Consider other modes besides FM. Your Tech ticket gives you SSB privileges on 10, 6, 2, and up. When 10 and 6 open up for DX, they are a real blast - much more fun than local FM.

5. Consider a rig that you will use when you upgrade to General. This could mean the FT-857, or IC-706 MKIIg. That would give you hi8gh power on all the favorite Technician bands, and you can listen on HF. Heck, if you get brave you can try using your HF CW privileges as a Tech, and start working the world.

6. If you don't want to spend any money to try out ham radio, get on EchoLink and use your computer to connect to repeaters all over the world. The repeaters are the ones with the calls listed as '-R', and the simplex links are '-L'. The ones with no R or L are just other computer users - use the radio nodes instead!

Check out the little FT-817 from Yaesu. All bands, 5 watts (2 on internal batteries). That's plenty to make DX contacts on 10 and 6 when they're open, and you can listen on HF or operate CW as you please. There are some affordable outboard amplifiers that can be used with these rigs when you want to use them as a 'base' station.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  9. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point!

10. KE6DON

KE6DON Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, Im in a similar position as the OP.
    Also newly licensed and looking at a handheld.
    However, the three I was considering are Kenwood TH-F6A, Yaseu VX- 7R and
    YaseuFT60R.
    I kind of leaning towards the VX-7 for the 6 meter capability.
    I have found this forum to be a wealth of info so far as
    what ones are good and what ones arent so good.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.