(Not very important) things you hate in contemporary radios

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by UT7UX, Nov 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My ‘3000 does, too. It didn’t at first but there was a firmware upgrade.

AC3GO likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

FT-950 most certainly does not! It's "Menu Item 111" :)

But by golly there is a SQUELCH KNOB right there in front - that I've never once used once in 7 years :)

Dave
    W7UUU

3. AC3GO

AC3GO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn’t know that, I must’ve bought mine after the update. I’ve had lots of radios since 82 and the 3000 is the best I’ve ever owned. That’s probably because I refuse to spend 10 grand.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  4. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I did the upgrade 3 or 4 years ago. I was nervous as hell LOL the 3000 was my first new rig since 1983 and I was so afraid I was gonna kill it! Worked well, though. I love my 3000; if I had a wish it would be that it had a second RX otherwise it’s fantastic, I think.

AC3GO likes this.
  5. AC3GO

AC3GO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I owned the FT2000 with two receivers and still prefer the 3000.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought 4 used but well cared for TS-830's when they were going real cheap! Loaded with filters also. It seems they are in much demand these days

Three are used to drive VHF to microwave transverters and the almost non existent phase noise and other digital crud lets me hear super weak signals including EME that was often buried in the TS-940 even after making several mods. The 940 is at the second station along with its own amp

The last one is used on the amplifier repair and 6M conversion bench where it is bulletproof.

A 1990 TS-950SD is my primary rig and I havent found a reason to replace it yet and when used with the 940 (have it since late 80's) it is more flexible than anything on the market today.

7. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Catch Bill Barr's hilarious take on Steve Jobs - "Nerd Jesus". But first some viewer advisories: adult language and trigger warning for manbun donning Apple fanboi soybois.

8. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

My Yaesu FT-2000 has RF power on the front panel of voluminous knobs radios of that day had. Both my FT-991A and my 7300 has RF power in a menu press and a mutli-knob turn. Now my ft-891 mini radio has no place for press so RF power is in the setup menu and it's a minor pain.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So, what's worse in todays radio environment - fifty pots that go gunnybag with the effects of time, or a single pot running through a menu of possibilities?

10. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done plenty of 29mhz FM simplex and even C4fm simplex on my FT-991A

N1VAU likes this.