(Not very important) things you hate in contemporary radios

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by UT7UX, Nov 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Let’s ragchew the things you hate however that most likely won’t be a deal-breaker. In general I mean desktop HF radios but please feel free to expand discussion to all hamgear.

For example I really hate non backlit keyboard on some radios. :mad:

YO3GFH, K4AGO, N2HUN and 1 other person like this.
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

DVI connectors on the back of rigs instead of HDMI.

WB3EYB, NL7W, PU2OZT and 2 others like this.
  3. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Multi purpose buttons. For example, short push does one thing, long push does something else.

NL7W, F8WBD, N2HUN and 7 others like this.
  4. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many modern rigs FAIL to include a FRONT PANEL CW KEY JACK in the correct 1/4" phone format.

NL7W, K4AGO, N2HUN and 10 others like this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Subdued painted labels for buttons (Glaring at you Icom!).

N7EKU, KK4NSF and WZ7U like this.
  6. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate the combination of one big central LCD display with physical controls scattered around the rest of the front panel. As often as not, in order to see the result of a button push or control setting you have to dart your eyes half way across the LCD display to watch the resultant status. Operating a modern rig is basically a workout in rapid eye movement. It's what makes operating an old rig so satisfying: the AGC switch is its own indicator; same for NB, NR, Notch, etc.

I guess a touch screen solves that problem. Still, I like physical controls.

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

RJ type connectors. (CAT-5 or telephone type modular connectors) I don't think I am particularly rough in handling cables on my rigs but I have had several modular type cables pull out from the connector. Both on ICom and Kenwood rigs. Not a big deal but it is annoying.
    Tom WA4ILH

NL7W, WS4JM, WA9SVD and 6 others like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Simple commonly needed features (RF output level as an example) buried in cryptic menus, with stupid seldom-needed stuff (squelch knob) right smack on the front panel, but you never use it.

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY, F8WBD, KE5OFJ and 13 others like this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

My main complaint is fragility. Why is everything so damned delicate?

KB1MCT, F8WBD, KA4DPO and 5 others like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hate 3.5mm jacks on radios. I suppose it's to save space internally. I'm looking at my 7300 with its pitiful litle earphone jack. The 7610 sitting next to it has standard 1/4-inch phone plugs. There's no space saving on the front panel, but some inside no doubt.

KA4DPO, PU2OZT, W0FS and 4 others like this.