Not exactly ham related, but.......

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KL7AJ, Oct 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just had the glorious opportunity to inform a phone scammer that he was the putrefied excrement of Lucifer. It felt wonderful.

That is all.

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one today that really sounded human.

I said "This is a tape recording"

The voice abruptly cut off in mid-word and said "The voice is computer generated for quality control purposes but I am a live person"

I started saying stuff that only a live person would 'get', and in the end, I was convinced that it was an "AI bot".

It's absolutely amazing to me how far that technology has come!

3. KB3UWC

KB3UWC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Awhile back I received a call from windows support, informing me that my windows license had expired. They left a message, so i immediately called them back. I then gave the guy with the middle eastern accent, a detailed description of what he could do to himself after he bent over the desk. Need less to say he hung up quickly, and i have not received anymore calls. A guy from this same 800 number almost got my 80 year old dad. They had him locked out of his computer , and wanted him to drive 25 miles to the local mall and get $400 worth of gamestop gift cards. I had to reinstall windows to get it unlocked. He learned a big lesson

4. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

That will not deter them one little bit. If you really want to inflict damage and get off their call list, just keep talking and leading them on. They have quota's and commissions, and wasting their time gets in their pockets. I do it every time . . When i since they have had enough I ask them if they know what they are doing is illegal, inform them I am a officer of local cyber crime unit, have recorded the conversation as evidence, and traced their number. CLICK!

All insults and hanging up will do is just make them call you later. You cannot insult a spammer, they get that dozens of time everyday.

5. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just recently started answering, "Sergeant Navarro, Longview Police, how can I help you?" ... <click>

KD9LFP and WD4CHP like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"Oh sure, yes Dave is here.... stand by and I'll go get him - he was expecting your call" > then I set the phone down and go about my business.

WASTING THEIR TIME is the biggest blow you have the power to deliver!!! They are rated in "calls per minute"

Dave
    W7UUU

KD9LFP likes this.
  7. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

They have declared WAR on us. Nothing short of a visit from a MQ-9 will stop them.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  8. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Once in a while, I'll ask the individual on the other end if he needs a vacuum cleaner and let him know that I sell them. The VacTorr 2000. It'll suck the chrome off a bumper hitch. It won't bust, rust, collect dust, peel, rip, fade, or tear . Give me your credit card number and address, and I'll get one headed your way immediately. It's the best thing since a pocket on a shirt. Why don't you want one? Everybody needs one...

For the computer people, who tell me [whatever] about my computer, I'll ask, "which one?". I have five. Then I ask for their user name and password with me. You have to have a user name and a password in order to do business with me. Well, I know there's a problem, but which computer? What is your user name and password?...

The XYL usually tells them off and disconnects. Where's the fun in that?

9. KE0DZW

KE0DZW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As soon as they ask me how I am today, I go into a very long drawn out story of how my life is going never giving them the opportunity to speak.
    I also like to ask them questions, let them give the whole sales speech, then ask more question to see how long I can keep them on the phone.
    It's great when they hang up on you.

N5CM likes this.
  10. W8YHC

W8YHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I get a lot of calls about my car's warranty. Usually click through to the agent. They are so rude and hang up on me when I tell them that I have a 2018 Lamborghini Huracon.

N5CM likes this.