ad: ARR

Not Available--Delay unknown

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by N7WR, Apr 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So getting up in years I decided to make what will possibly be my last changes to the station. Some antenna upgrades--no problem since I homebrew my antennas. Also wanted a new HF transceiver and a new 2/440 transceiver. Did my research, read the reviews, talked to a few people on the air that were using the rigs I was considering. Decided on what I wanted and then went on line to the largest ham radio store(s) in the country with the intent to order. Woops--out of stock unknown when they will be back in stock. Went to another radio store which has multiple locations--same thing. Went to a third outlet and same thing.

Called the largest of these retailers and asked if they had any idea when these currently produced rigs would be in stock. No idea--they are guessing (hoping) 30-40 days. Seems that with everything going on in the world the supply chain has been disrupted. If I wanted a rig produced in China (which I never will) no problem. In stock. The "big 3", not so much.

So I placed an order and I guess while I wait I will do the antenna work I have planned and re-do the radio console to accommodate the new rigs when they arrive.

N3AWS and W4LJ like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Several other threads on this topic so no - you are not alone!

It's not just ham gear - it's most everything that is subject to this right now.

And yes - it affects Chinese imports just like the rest. They are not immune.

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS, W4IOA and N0TZU like this.
  3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Except for those cheap 65" televisions at Walmart. The local store has loads of them in many flavors and sizes. Pools and bicycles not so much.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Could very well be the 65" TVs are just Walmart stock on hand in warehouses. If they follow the trend as all other Asian suppliers, that could all dry up soon as well

Time will tell I guess

Dave
    W7UUU

KU4X likes this.
  5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

There's one item that's holding up a lot of goods from being manufactured/sold: computer chips. Evidently, because of COVID (and other factors), there's a shortage of IC chips so even products as mundane as garage door remotes can't be had because there's not enough chips to go around to all manufacturers.

N3AWS and KX8C like this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And holding up production of goods as expensive as cars. It has bedeviled Elecraft while trying to ramp the K4 quickly.

My neighbor works in metal distribution and they have the same issues, particularly of sheet steel used for many things including appliances, which is part of why it’s difficult to get a good quality major household appliance now.

Many suppliers of basic materials and components saw orders plummet early in the pandemic so they stopped their production, shut down plants, furloughed people, or shifted to other customers who were still buying. As we all learned to more or less live with Covid restrictions, finished product demand came back and in many cases set records, but component and material supply is still very constrained or reallocated. It takes a very long time to work out of that.

PU2OZT, WF7A and WZ7U like this.
  7. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I am currently in the process of establishing a green swamp in my back yard. However, it's not by choice. The huge power grid failure this past February resulted in loss of electricity for a few hours with single digit temperatures. By the time I realized that my pool filter system had frozen it was too late to drain water from the lines. It virtually destroyed every piece of equipment from the pump motor to the filter canister itself. All of the PVC plumbing cracked. The problem was so widespread that all suppliers in the US sold out of their inventory of critical replacement parts that were manufactured for a normal year of demand. So, I'm just waiting for the alligators to show up next.

AD5HR likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Look out for locusts!

9. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

...and the copperheads. Locusts are their favorite "snack"! Fortunately, I'm too far south and west for the onslaught of the 17 year locusts coming out in the northeastern U.S. this summer.

N3AWS and W4IOA like this.
  10. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is the best reason.

copper-prices-historical-chart-data-2021-04-16-macrotrends.png

Wires rule!

RRK