ad: w5yi

Nostalgia Radio

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by N4JB, Jun 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4JB

N4JB Ham Member QRZ Page

With all modes of communication in mind, I can't help to remember my roots in ham radio. There is room for my first phone communication mode, and I want to revive interest in AM. Let's have fun on 10 and 15 meters, with some good AM audio. I use my old Yaesu FT-840, and have dedicated it to AM. I would like to generate interest, not as a club or net, but as a friendly gathering place for some nostalgia fun. I have 28.840 and 21.420 as a couple good frequencies in mind. I monitor both currently. I know that this time of the year sporadic E is king, and as the upcoming sunspot cycle takes hold, this winter may bring some surprises. Email me at n4jb@mail.com or comment here for input, if you may want to start a couple gathering places for some fun AM. I have preset my 840 to 10 watts, so not to overheat, but with my foot switch can go to 300 watts with my old Henry 2KD-5. Thanks for reading. Jerry - N4JB.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. WB1EAD

WB1EAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry thought I'd comment on ur freqs mentioned..no problem with ur wanting to inspire others for AM activity..however "sitting" on 28.840 may not give you the most "action" on 10mtrs..try 29.010 as a better choice..actually most AM is between 29.000 to 29.100 as a rule..the freq you suggest/use on 15mtrs is OK but lots of activity seems to occur between 21.400 t0 21.450..but it's still in there FWIW..also don't forget 20mtrs and anywhere between 14.320 to 14.340 is where it's at IMHO..these are the usual freqs where I've enjoyed lots of AM qsos..of course 160/80/40 are always busy for AM..gud luk all ya gotta do now is wait on a band opening for at least 15 and 10mtrs...73 de DAVE WB1EAD