North East Weak Signal [N.E.W.S.] Group Sunday morning 2m SSB net

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KA2FIR, May 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Northeast Weak Signal Group Sunday morning net meets @ 1100 local on 144.250.

Net control: AA2TT

K2WH, KC8VWM and KA0HCP like this.
  2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I have delayed getting back on 2 ssb due to lack of activity in the N.E.

I even turned my beam to vertical polarization but I can turn it back.

Back in the 70's and 80's, SSB was very common but started to fall off with the FM repeaters.

Shame, even new hams who get on 2 meters don't even know that SSB is allowed on 2 meters.

One ham I know, had an all mode rig that did SSB and I told him to go on SSB mode and he asked how do I do that.

I said just push the button that says "SSB" ! Amazing.

What is the activity level with this new group?

3. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Its it Bill or Will? Anyway ... I have noticed activity on 2m SSB while I was living in the Bronx. Maybe you've just missed it. I haven't listen for that group mentioned above, but I am going to check it out this weekend. I will be operating more often on 2M SSB as I get my station setup at my new QTH on Long Island.

4. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Its Bill

Yes there is "Some" activity but for me not enough to justify flipping my beam over to horizontal or, picking up another multi-mode rig that does 2 SSB.

I have an old vintage 3 watt ICOM 202 that is an SSB rig. I'll give a listen with that.

Bill
    K2WH

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Long Island is "DX Mecca" for VHF-DXing.

Water to the north, water to the south, and no mountains in the way of anything. It's very good for VHF DXing.

N2SLO likes this.
  6. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes Steve @WB2WIK , it's pretty darn good here for 2M DX. The warm Gulf Stream coming up the east coast helps with tropo as well, when no storms are brewin'. Especially to the south. Florida is not impossible on 2m when tropo is strong. HF is pretty good too. I'm near the water on the south shore about 35 miles east of the NYC border, so I'm a good way out into the ocean but still close enough to easily work NYC and New Jersey repeaters (when I do use those, which is not often).

And Bill @K2WH , I use an old reliable Yaesu FT-221R-Mutek with a KW Commander 144-VHF amp, which does the job well. Many times I'll just use a pair of horizontal loops, but for long haul I use a Cushcraft A148-20T cross-polarity 10el yagi. With that I can swing both ways. hihi

7. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's correct. Long Island has plenty of VHF/UHF activity. I am on 144.205 every morning before I start working, with Stan KAIZE/3 stirring it up you can work 30 stations and many grids each day.

8. KC1FGY

KC1FGY Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this thread has some dust on it. I live on Newfound Lake in Bristol NH and I just put up a 12 element 2m yagi. I was curious if anyone here could try to dig me out. I work nights and am home at 7:30 am local time.

9. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Eric - It would be a long haul simplex from Dublin but I could give it a try.

I've got a Yagi I could spin around. Can you reach any repeaters on the N1IMO system?

Jim, WQ2H / WK2XAH

10. KC1FGY

KC1FGY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm almost positive I can hit the pittsfield N1IMO repeater with my vertical I will have to program it when I get home. FYI, my yagi is horizontally polarized.