North Carolina is working on a "Distracted Driving" Bill

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4KWH, May 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

• Verbosity doesn't make your point valid.
    • Writing to FCC about a state driving law is pointless.
    • Some people need a nanny.

N6HCM likes this.
  2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you live with your head stuck in the sand of denial?

DISTRACTED DRIVING went to public enemy number 1 when the numbers jumped from thousands of CB and Ham Radio Users in the 70/80/90's to join the numbers of 100's of millions when Cell Phones joined the party in the 2000's I do not know where you live with your head stuck in the sand but in TX:

In 2017, the Texas Legislature passed a statewide ban on using a wireless communications devices for electronic messaging while operating a motor vehicle.

Let me translate that that for you. wireless communications devices are any devices be it a Cell Phones, Tablets, Laptops, CB's and Ham Radio. No discrimination period. They even take it one step further in TX and do discriminate against youth and school zones,

• Drivers with learner's permits are prohibited from using handheld cell phones in the first six months of driving.
    • Drivers under the age of 18 are prohibited from using wireless communications devices. Ham radio and CB included.
    • School bus operators are prohibited from using cell phones while driving if children are present.
    • In school zones, all drivers are prohibited from texting and using handheld devices while driving. CB's and Ham Radio included.
    Get use to it, times are changing and you cannot stop it. The proof is here and law. Pull your head out of the sand. Just like Chump, you may not like it, but he won, not Billary.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

My and most Cell phones only have 3 buttons. One On/Off, button, one volume button, leaving one for everything else. Got a new car, you can put that one button on your steering wheel. Try that with a CB or Ham Radio.

In the end 1 in 5 car crashes and deaths today is DISTRACTED DRIVING. Those are just facts anyone can look up and verify.

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall that a university study went further, and found that "hands free" devices were no less distracting. IOW, it's not a matter of the user being PHYSICALLY occupied.

5. K5URU

K5URU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're referring to HB62, which became effective in September 2017, the term "wireless communications device" does not apply to amateur radio (nor CB radio), but does apply to wireless services provided for profit, such as cell phone or internet services.

HB62 amended the Transportation Code to include Section 545.4251. Let's follow along.

Section 545.4251 (a) 2 :
    "Wireless communication device" has the meaning assigned by Section 545.425.

Section 545.425 (a) 2 :
    "Wireless communication device" means a device that uses a commercial mobile service, as defined by 47 U.S.C. Section 332.

47 U.S.C. Section 332 (d) 1 :
    the term “commercial mobile service” means any mobile service (as defined in section 153 of this title) that is provided for profit and makes interconnected service available (A) to the public or (B) to such classes of eligible users as to be effectively available to a substantial portion of the public, as specified by regulation by the Commission

And just in case that isn't clear enough, 545.4251 (d) says:
    Subsection (b) does not apply to:
    (2) an operator who is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission while operating a radio frequency device other than a portable wireless communication device.

So, to translate, the recent Texas ban on wireless communications devices does not apply to licensed amateur radio operators using their mobile radios, even in school zones, and even if they are under 18. Just wanted to clear that up for those of us with our heads in the sand.

Blake K5URU

ND6M likes this.
  6. W3RPZ

W3RPZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  7. W3RPZ

W3RPZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't matter what year the reports or laws are cited, that's usually a +1T Missile that you need to be in control of at ALL TIMES...

Distracted Driving is a well proven factor in so many "accidents" that there is absolutely NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER...

NO CB, NO HAM, NO CELL PHONE, NO RADIO, NO TEXT, NO MAKEUP, NO HAIR DO, NO MAP, NO GPS, NO EMERGENCY, COULD EXCUSE YOU FROM PILOTING A MISSILE "DISTRACTED" WITH MY FAMILY IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY!

Sorry guys, but THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MULTI-TASKING... We, YOU ARE NOT THAT GOOD... NO MATTER WHAT YOU BELIEVE!...

I said it 40 years ago and I stand by the statement "I would rather be on the highway with a drunk driver than someone who is distracted... As poorly/dangerously the 'drunk''s driving, at least he's 'trying' and usually obvious... the distracted driver is an 'inept terrorist', Nuff Sed!"

USE VOX and Hands-Free if you must... OR EVEN GET THE HELL OFF THE ROAD TO MAKE THE CALL...

Get distracted for the blink of an eye and it may ME and MINE (OR YOURS) that get dead... And it only takes 1 error... NO REGRETS PLEASE!!!

8. N4QWK

N4QWK Ham Member QRZ Page

If people can't take their eyes off of the road for a half a second, I would suggest that they stop tailgating.

KK6VLV likes this.
  9. K2EZ

K2EZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do you say use hands free? How does that help? With cell phones it is shown to make no difference. On the subject of two way radio equipment installed in the vehicle there is nothing showing this as a significant problem unlike testing with cell phones.

The shouting using caps does not make your statement correct.

So is listening to broadcast radio okay? Adjusting volume okay? Changing the station? Listening to an audiobook? Where do you draw the line?

Or are you one of these that insist no stimulus be present other than driving? You know that condition that promotes ones mind off into some other thought leaving their body driving with their head up their ass?

Also did you say you drive with kids in the car "MY FAMILY IN THE IMMEDIATE VACINITY"? How do you deal with that distraction?

10. K2EZ

K2EZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You still fail to address my other statements, every bit of data you post only goes back to cell phones.

It did not go from thousands to hundreds of millions. Two way radio users have numbered in the millions on the roads. If this was such a distraction it would have showed up in the data. Cell phones showed became an apparent issue long before the current high adoption levels.

And with regards to the Texas Law, seems pretty sensible, but you are incorrect, it does not apply to two way radio. Really sensible about the Texas law is no cell phone use in school zones and by new drivers. It recognizes that hands free doesn't solve those problems.

And of course there is that inconvenient bit that as a society we have legislated in a way specifically to permit cell phone use.