ad: AbAuRe-1

North America's Most Westerly Contiguous Hwy KL7HOM Alaska

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KL5AJK, Aug 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KL5AJK

KL5AJK Ham Member QRZ Page

SPARC South Peninsula Amateur Radio Club in Homer, Alaska will be hosting our 2nd annual "North America's Most Westerly Contiguous Highway Point located in Anchor Point, Alaska. The event starts on Saturday Sept. 24th at 19:00 UTC and ends Monday Sept. 26th at 0:400 UTC.

Our club will be portable at the Halibut Campground in Anchor Point. We will be running 100 watts and using dipole antennas. Our frequencies are 14.249 21.349 18.149 28.349. or close to these frequencies as possible and if conditions allow. If we have digital operators set up we will be on 14.070 and 18.100. We do not have any CW ops in our club. We are a small club but will try to work as many contacts as conditions allow.

Visit our club's website at www.KL7HOM.org for more information, QSL info, updates or changes. We are listed in September's QST under special events. You can email me at KL5AJKALASKA@gmail.com or leave comments here.

We hope to have people spot us on DX Summit and other spotting networks, so if you hear us please give us a spot! We will have our dipoles pointing down to the lower 48 and in Alaska at the fall equinox it is the best time of the year for DX propagation, that is if the solar flares will give us a break that weekend. Fingers crossed for good band conditions and no SNOW!!!

73's and 88's
    Shanley Kerls KL5AJK
    President, SPARC South Peninsula Amateur Radio Club
    Homer, Alaska

W5BRO and N3GY like this.
  2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a roadgeek, I think it's really cool that such an extreme is being commemorated.

But didn't the western limit of the road system shift yesterday, with the opening of the road to (near) Tanana?

N3GY likes this.
  3. KL5AJK

I contacted the Alaska DOT today and posed that question to them. They told me that the road does not go into Tanana but stops short and you have to take a boat across or in winter an ice road. They also told me that not all the road is a highway but several miles of a private road thru private property which isn't considered a contiguous highway system.

So until further notice Anchor Point Alaska is still North America's most Westerly Point on a Contiguous Highway system. Listen for us in September!

Oh and if you are a roadgeek then don't forget the Route 66 special event in Sept too. I love that one as well as our SES!

N3GY likes this.
  4. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that's some good roadgeek trivia. Thanks!

5. KL5AJK

Don't forget to mark your calendar for this special event. Check out our web site for QSL sample and mailing information. www.KL7HOM.org

N3GY likes this.
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I've been to Anchor Point. It will never be the same---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. N3GY

N3GY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will trying my best to work yah guys <> Just to remind you to take at least 5 mnts. of your time in between call's & call QRP's & Low Power Station's out there ! who will trying to make contact with your Station / Thank you Looking forward to Cross our Signal's 73's N3GY -Hilton

8. KL5AJK

Yes we will call for QRP and DX NON 48. We also except RELAYS so if someone can relay we work to get you if we can make out some of your call. I know some groups won't relay but this is not a contest. I am a SES person so I will instruct our members to call for QRP's. Thank you for responding!

N3GY likes this.
  9. KL5AJK

Don't miss the chance to get a one of a kind QSL card and contact from the North America's Most Westerly Contiguous Highway Point in Anchor Point, Alaska! Two days this weekend. Hoping the rain doesn't delay our set up. Should begin transmitting 19:00 UTC 9/24 till 04:00 9/26 UTC (Saturday & Sunday this weekend local times 11am AKDT to Sunday 4pm AKDT). Check out a sample QSL and information found on KL7HOM page. Visit our club website www.KL7HOM.org. Please help spot us. Looking forward to hearing lots of pile ups!

KD9DC and N3GY like this.
  10. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

Our frequencies are 14.249 21.349 18.149 28.349. see 'yall on 17m!

11. KL5AJK

on 14.249 now! last few hors to go. will move to 40 m after 0300 utc