Normal 811H operation?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N4JAP, Nov 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4JAP

N4JAP Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been a couple years since I used my Ameritron 811h. So now after applying 120vac power, I see the plate voltage meter consistantly reads about 1,700 volts. When I flip the meter switch from HV to ip to read plate current, the needle floats between 150 to 300 mA, and at times swings wildly up to 450mA to even up to 600mA, then settles down to about 2-40 mA. The Grid Current meter reads zero. Is this normal without applying a load from the exciter radio? About two years ago there amp seemed dead on power up, but I changed the 12 amp fuse and all seemed to work well then. I'm hesitant to apply power from the exciter before knowing for sure what is normal for this amp. Thanks in advance, 73,
    John

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be tube issue but those amps are known for the IP/HV switch to be funky. Often times you have to flood them with cleaner to restore proper operation. I see it all the time.

3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday, I saw 4-NOS RCA 811s. Made me wish I kept my 811H.....

Ed

W9RAC likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^Sounds like the first obvious place to check.

In standby without the amp keyed or RF applied, IP should be zero.:p

5. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I can make that wish come true Ed, 73 Rich

6. AA7QQ

I gave it to a friend when leaving Las Vegas. He got a couple carloads of stuff that just wouldn't fit in the moving truck.
    I have all SS stuff, now.

Thanks for the offer, though.

Ed

W9RAC likes this.
  7. W9RAC

Im going SS this week so 811H is the first departure. I have a couple other larger tubers Ill likely keep. 73 Rich

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you'll like Social Security.:p:)

9. AA7QQ

Surplus broadcast junk is so cheap on Ebay. If you come across some Larcan VHF 1.5K or 1K amps, they are easily converted to 2M & 6M. 6-BLF278s, each rated for 300W. I run mine at 1.2KW & they loaf.

Ed

10. W9RAC

I'm a HF type guy, never been on VHF or UHF, I guess I been sheltered. I ordered a Acom 1200s so should be fun to check out. I actually got it for CW so hope to be set up by Wednesday. tnx, Rich

AA7QQ likes this.