Norfolk Va. tower drop

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K5UJ, Sep 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

N0TZU likes this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

The tip of the tower (maybe a set of FM bays?) appears to have just missed the transmitter building by inches.

Pheel

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I can see the Craig's List ads now: "FREE - used Rohn tower sections - $200 each your choice or take the whole lot for $500 - excellent condition - original owner"

:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

N0TZU likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw that too. I wondered if the building was set for demolition or if they were extremely lucky. I bet they were expecting it to lay out flat across the water the way the WBBM tower fell.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool video. It looks like the worker was removing the bolt on the guy anchor with a puller of some kind. I don't think I'd do that without a stout shield in case part of the bolt or the puller flew back at me!

7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Aw man. Instead of taking it down, they could have moved it to my house! I mean, if they can move fully intact buildings, they can move an fully erect tower am I right?

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

If it had done that, it would have hit the overhead conveyor system at the Luck Stone Corp.

The drop was intended to fold the tower back on itself.

9. KB3OUK

KB3OUK Ham Member QRZ Page

From what i had read somewhere else, that one was so rusted that it was considered unsafe and that's why it was being demolished and replaced.

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Few "you can have it for taking it down" offers are a bargain. It is much more difficult to safely dismantle a standing tower than to put one up. That's why they often just cut the guy wires and let it drop, and get a few bucks for the scrap metal.