Noob with FT-60 saying 'Hi'

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB2SUJ, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

It wouldn't be QRZ without the traditional initiation process. :(

K3SZ likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Initiation? You mean it actually ends?

KP4SX and K3KIC like this.
  3. K3KIC

It ends when you become a SK.

BTW I figured a sharp guy like you would tie my sacred cow comment into my avatar. Your slipping. :)

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

You have no idea. :oops:

5. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's like that on the air at times too but sometimes aimed at the wrong target. Right before I got my vanity 1x2 call in 2002, I was WA6HTF. Some guys on a local repeater, who I believed were recent license recipients based on their call signs beginning with KD6, KE6, or something like that, called me out and said since when did they start issuing "WA6" calls and you must be really new here!

They carried on for a bit before I could respond I got that call in 1975. I don't know that they believed me.

KB2SUJ and K3KIC like this.
  6. K3KIC

I had guys look me up while we talked and then they complained I was only a HAM for a year and already had a vanity call sigh.

Fortunately I found a club with a good group and the local repeaters have a lot of good people.

KB2SUJ and K3SZ like this.
  7. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Earlier this year on another repeater, an old-timer gave me grief for having an out of district call sign. Even though the rules changed some time ago, he didn't agree with it and just wanted to argue with me. Had to spin the dial!

KB2SUJ likes this.
  8. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly, getting upset about upper case and lower case letters is amazing. So much more in life to be concerned about. I appreciate the kind comment. I will survive, I know. I have been 'on line' since before I got my H.A.M. (ROFL) license. I think the line about hams being coined back in the days of telegraph makes the most sense and in some of the posts I have read, it certainly bears it out, ham being an abbreviation for 'ham fisted'. I am the kind of guy that will give you the shirt off of my back but treat me wrong and I'll remove your head and defecate down your throat. There is a cruder wording of that old saying.

LOL, I read a little about FT8. Seems pointless to race to see who can contact the most in the least amount of time. It would make more sense to me to see who can send a signal further, clearer, with less power. All about a good tune and antenna. That is my eventual goal.

9. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No one believes you. I thought you were used to that by now1 ;)

K3SZ likes this.
  10. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep up the good work.

KB2SUJ likes this.