Noob with FT-60 saying 'Hi'

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB2SUJ, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD5TMS

KD5TMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good way to look at it.

2. KD5TMS

KD5TMS Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Safety vest color.

WU8Y and K3KIC like this.
  4. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would never assume someone was "clueless" over something so simple as this. So if you presented something that was inaccurate by some standard, should anything else you say not matter? Of course not.

5. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As do most sources on the Internet. :rolleyes:

Regards,
    -Bruce

KD5TMS likes this.
  6. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

73's

K3KIC likes this.
  7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an indicator of their ham radio experience, or lack of same. Perhaps "clueless" is too harsh of word. But the point remains that if they were actually around experienced hams, they would not pick this up.

But it is a simple matter to use correct terms, it is easier to type ham than HAM, and it is the correct way. It would be interesting to see where HAM came from, but I would wager that it did not come from the established ham community, and it has never been used by ham magazines in over 100 years of published issues, except in ads or for emphasis.

K0MB and WU8Y like this.
  8. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a subjective indicator to you. I could not judge someone's radio experience on a single capitalized three-lettered word and/or acronym -- I would need more information than that. But I agree on the principle of using correct terms and I try to be accurate on what I write. I just don't want to chase someone off because of something so minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

73, Tony

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not wanting to chase anyone off, but I do let them know it is incorrect, and why. If a ham posted on here that his radio "puts out 100 volts", he would get lots of correction, and rightly so. You have to know the terminology and its proper usage. HAM is like that; it is simply not correct, since it is just a word. And like any other word, it follows the same rules of usage and capitalization.

People sometimes spell amateur as amature, and I am actually less concerned about that, since it is only a spelling error. But HAM is not a spelling error, it is a conceptual error in thinking that HAM stands for something, other than the word "ham". People go out of their way to spell this out as an acronym, which it is not.

WU8Y likes this.
  10. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the OP got the message quite clearly. I warned him to wear his armor while participating in this forum...

There are a few other hams, including myself, that are helping the OP out elsewhere.