Noob with FT-60 saying 'Hi'

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB2SUJ, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I everyone. I've had my license for close to thirty years and never made use of it except to legally use FRM-GMRS radios. I finally bit the bullet and stepped up with a FT-60.
    It has been nearly a week now. I am scratching the surface of it all with help of friends who have 50 years experience (though they live 3,000 miles away). I've programmed in the local repeaters. I programmed in a GMRS channel to use it with the other radios around, the property.
    I can hear one of the local repeaters Morse transmission of I assume, is its' call sign (my Morse is long forgotten) but efforts to reach anyone have failed so far.
    I am open to all good advice. I'll ignore the bad.

2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

No license is required to operate an FRS radio (not FRM). A GMRS license is required to operate a GMRS radio. An amateur (ham) license gives you ZERO operating privileges in the GMRS service.

Your FT-60 is not Part 95 certified, and using it to transmit on GMRS frequencies (even if you had the proper GMRS license) is not legal.

You have a lot of issues, and it would seem very little understanding of them. I'll just leave it at that.

K3BE, N5PAR, WU8Y and 5 others like this.
  3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

GMRS/FRS legality aside, you would appear to be near a fairly populated part of VA, so I would expect to find some activity on 2 meters/UHF. I find that linked repeaters are often the most active. The W4RAT repeater in Richmond, 146.88, PL 74.4 is within 25 miles of you. It was active as of this morning.

K3SZ and KB2SUJ like this.
  4. KB2SUJ

Thanks! I'll program that in and see if I can make my first contact.

I appreciate the non-snarky helpful comment. One day I will be knowledgeable with the guidance of others. Not everyone is born knowing everything.

N3AB likes this.
  5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

AB3TQ's analysis is on point. Things have changed, and most of us would have forgotten a lot, since you got your Technician license in 1994. Suggest you join a local amateur radio club, take some classes, and seek guidance from someone willing to be your local 'Elmer'. Then go on the air. You joined today and you're not getting off to a good start with the knowledgeable folks on QRZ with your "snarky" comment. You're already in deep doo-doo but apparently don't understand that.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  6. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not everyone is born knowing everything.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there were a device where you could look stuff up at home, or maybe even small enough to hold in you hand(!) where you could get the world's knowledge just by asking, or typing a question? Maybe someday...

(Oh, and it's "just wavin' a hand")

KC3KNI, N5PAR, AJ4GQ and 1 other person like this.
  7. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi KB2SUJ, welcome (back) to the hobby. You will find this forum "similar" to the other one where we met. Good people will help you out, some of the others will belittle.

KK4NSF, KB2SUJ and N3AB like this.
  8. KB2SUJ

Yup, or a forum where a person could go and introduce themselves as a new person to the activity and people would welcome them?

9. KB2SUJ

Thanks K3SZ. I'm a moderator and an admin on other forums, so I 'know the types'. All kinds of people out there. Some will argue the type of dressing to put on a wound, others will stop the bleed.

KK4NSF, N3AB, K1IGS and 3 others like this.
  10. KD5TMS

KD5TMS Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-60 is Yaesu's work horse for a hand held. It is dated, but it is still very popular as a first radio. You'll quickly find the general short comings with a hand held, namely, antenna and lack of power. You'll want to quickly save up for at least a mobile and power supply.

Just be sure you're getting your terminology right. :)

There is no authorization to use GMRS with an amateur radio license - you shouldn't be able to transmit on those frequencies with the FT-60. Just curious, what frequencies are you putting in that you're calling "GMRS"?

Check out repeaterbook online - it's generally pretty up to date on repeater frequencies.

Welcome back!

KB2SUJ likes this.