None of my for sale post worked?? They were deleted? Why?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by VE2DX, Nov 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

VE2DX likes this.
  2. VE2DX

VE2DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks

3. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

The pictures look great. Nice job!

4. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

We don't have to have our callsign in the photos anymore?

Mark

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

It's programmed into the boot up screen. Looks pretty genuine to me!

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Mark - please see the rules that went into effect on July 1, 2019

Because of the ID Verified (IDV) requirement, call signs are now OPTIONAL. We still strongly recommend still using them just to keep your photos from being lifted and used to run a scam on some other site. But ads are no longer deleted for no call sign or a "digitally inserted" call sign.

What is now required is that you must be IDV before you can post anything in the swap meet.

Since we put the new rules in place, essentially 99.99999% of the "Nigerian Scammer" risk is gone. Sure - someone who is IDV could still conceivably fall for a Phishing scam, by a scammer who also happened to have stolen the user's cell phone (for 2nd factor authentication) but the odds of this happening are vanishingly small. Think about it: Such a scammer MUST have in their possession the actual 2FA device - cell phone or the user's Authy account mated to the computer they use to run Authy (it's a hardware-based thing) - even if they have stolen the site password - without the required code entry that 2FA calls for when logging in from a new device, he cannot post in the Swapmeet section.

Dave
    W7UUU

K7MH likes this.
  7. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

Missed the bootup screen callsign -- cool.

I did read the rules before asking,

But the rules are not really clear. A section says: "Photos must also meet the following requirements:" and in bold letters, "Callsign in Photo" but then it says strongly recommended. So it's required but... not required. The line should not be given a number, but just stated at the end of the numerical list as a recommendation.

That's great that the new verificaton system is so good at stopping phishing scans. I didn't see before the information you just gave about it -- that's fantastic!

Mark.

8. W7UUU

Thanks Mark - we'll look at the wording of the rules and clarify. I appreciate the "good eyes"

Dave
    W7UUU

9. W7UUU

Fixed!

I corrected the wording to be more clear, as follows (in red):

Photos are REQUIRED for all sale listings. All For-Sale or For-Trade items must include a picture of the actual item being offered for sale or trade. Photos must also meet the following requirements:
    1. Photos must be clear, focused, and of sufficient resolution (minimum 640x480).
    2. Boxed, new or used gear must be opened with the contents clearly shown.
    3. Stock photos, manufacturer photos, or photos of similar but not the actual item being offered not permitted.
    4. Callsign in Photo recommended but not required - all sellers are strongly encouraged to protect their photos by including a representation of their call sign in the picture, adjacent to the item being offered. If at all possible, it is advisable to include a picture of the serial number of the item. By marking your pictures with a call sign, you make it difficult for a scammer to use your photo on another site.
    Thanks again for pointing this out

Dave
    W7UUU

NZ4X likes this.