ad: elecraft

none licence on 11m

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by SEADONKEY, Jul 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Insert foot ...... again ....

JB

2. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool .....

I was an old guy @ 11 years old ..... My first Novice ....

I am not bragging .... It was as it was .... 1961 .....

Oh , that was code only ....

JB

4. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I was 13 when I finally learned the code and got a license. But I was ready for the written test long before that.

5. KG5ILR

KG5ILR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jay,
    Check out www.essexham.co.uk they have a lot of good information. The also have a link to a free Foundation Online Amateur Radio Training Course that may be of some help even if its just a refresher course. A lot has changed since I took the City and Guilds exam back in the 80's
    Good luck and hope to see you on the bands.

MW0IHW and KA9UCN like this.
  6. KA9UCN

KA9UCN Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW!

A new potential ham, first time on the sight, looking for some support and guidance!

I notice after being insulted several times. He has not made a second post. I wonder why?

Good work! Some, not all you guys make a new potential ham feel so welcome. A sincere thanks to those who are actually trying.

Best of luck on passing the test. Just remember. The vast majority of people in the ham community are the kind of people that you would truly want as neighbors. The others in question are luckily a very small minority.

Joe KA9UCN

MW0IHW, EA1BDF, W0BTU and 3 others like this.
  7. SEADONKEY

SEADONKEY QRZ Member

Test booked 13th next month. thanks for the support ka9ucn/joe and kg5ilr.already looking into new radio ft920 or the ts570. I wander how long before this post gets insults. water of a ducks. back. But whould like opinion on which radio to get the ft920 is winning with me so far thanks...

73s

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    MW0IHW likes this.
  8. KG5ILR

KG5ILR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-920 was one of my favorite radios I have owned so far. I still miss many of it's features that are more and more rare. It has pleasent audio to listen to for long periods also which seems rare these days. That being said, to be honest it was never the BEST reciever in the generation and price range. I would highly recommend you not buy one without the upgraded filters as you can not get the filters any longer seperatly, espessially on CW. With the filters, it is a lot of radio on a budget and is basically a FT-1000MP at that point.

10. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to get on the air and play with a wide variety of bands and modes, consider a used FT-991. I recently started with one and am having a really great time with it. Is it perfect? No, it's a shack in a box with all the attendant compromises, but it gets you on the air on many different bands and modes. Other than a computer with a USB port and USB A to B connector it doesn't require any added interfaces to use digital modes. From what I understand, they're falling in price pretty quickly, too.