non Ten-Tec keyers and Omni C

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N9FB, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N9FB

N9FB Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently I acquired an Omni D Series C and sold my Argonaut V. I am in heaven as this was the rig I used to dream of as a teen...

My question is regarding keyers. Does anyone know if an old Nye Viking SSK-1-K will work with it? I have read some old ten-Tecs require a reed relay in between or one can harm the rig.

The Omni C manual says the following:

"Electronic keyers other than Ten-Tec models preferably should be of the reed relay type, since a low resistance to ground contact is required on the key line for proper transmitter keying."

anyone able to translate that for me?

I was looking for a Ten Tec 645 but only heard from a few guys overseas and the cost was too high.

2. N4SNB

N4SNB Ham Member QRZ Page

Keyer for OMNI C

Hello K9AIM,
    Congrats on getting one of the best CW rigs ever made. I have three, two working and one for parts.
    Im driving mine with a N0XAS Picokeyer-Plus Kit that I purchased a couple of years ago for $18 plus shipping. The rise and fall characteristics are sharp and produce a very nice signal out of the OMNI C. The coin battery draws current only on a dit or a dot and mine is still working after almost two years. I use a Vibroplex Vibrokeyer to drive the chip.
    Anyway, the website is worth visiting even if you dont like the keyer.

http://www.hamgadgets.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=89

I check-in on the Sunrise Net each morning about 1300Z on 7.123 mhz if you want to hear one drive an OMNI C . Its a very informal net, hope you can stop by.
    73's N4SNB

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Translation:

"Some keyers will not be zero Ω on the transmitter keying line when you are sending.

These few Ω may cause the OMNI to not transmit properly.

Using a reed relay between the keyer and rig will correct this problem IF it occurs.

Better still would be to install a transistor switch between the keyer and rig, this will eliminate the possibility of a bad mechanical contact on the reed relay, and any slight timing issues with the mechanical relay"

Rege

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

An NPN transistor will have a collector to emitter voltage drop of several tenths of a volt--maybe more if you don't drive it hard to make your batteries last longer. Modern FET switches are much better having a drain to source channel that looks much more like a very low resistance, but they weren't cheap when the Omni D was introduced. Also, modern FETs have capacitive inputs, which means the minimum drive power is proportional to switching speed--they can be extremely efficient in low speed circuits compared to bipolar transistors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.