Non-religious question elk vs arrow

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KA7FTP, Feb 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. NJ4Y

NJ4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome! :D Its a lot of fun! One of the things a lot of us do is use a small audio recorder (or even just a phone app) to record the qsos made during the pass. It makes it a lot easier to log later, when you don't have to worry about writing everything down perfectly during the pass...there's enough other things to do at the same time already haha

AD5KO and WD9EWK like this.
  2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It may seem like a feeding frenzy, but don't let that intimidate you. As others pointed out, a recorder is a good way to log those calls if you aren't used to contest-speed callsign exchanges. The other option is wait until you hear one good station strongly, copy their callsign, then call them. You'll still probably get some more calls, but responding to them will get easier with practice.

Welcome aboard.

NJ4Y, WD9EWK and AD5KO like this.
  3. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

More like "enjoy the addiction"

NJ4Y likes this.
  4. W7CK

W7CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a question. I notice that the arrow has the 70cm and 2m elements on different planes. They are 90 degrees from each other. Does this make a difference when working the birds? I'm really new to this and still haven't gotten an antenna yet, so forgive me if I ask strange questions. Anyway, it seems to me that as one rotates the arrow for best reception, the transmit polarity would be off by 90 degrees. I'm assuming if the satellite was orientated in such a way that the best reception was horizontal, transmitting would also be best at horizontal. I've tried picturing a satellite in space and this just seems logical to me. Am I missing something here?

5. N4THC

N4THC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you are correct. I'm new to this too. I have an arrow. The only way to talk as good to the satellite as you hear it with the arrow is twist 90 degrees when you transmit and then go back for receive. Today I was trying to make a contact through the AO-85 satellite and really noticed I had to have the antenna lined up with it to get a nice strong signal. Polarity does matter. Browse around the threads on this forum, there is a lot of helpful information.

6. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a fair question, but no need to worry.

There are many people who rave over the "twist trick" on AO-85. It is necessary sometimes, but not always. Why do I say this? At my shack I have the ability to utilize both 70cm or 2m in either vertical or horizontal positions. While AO-85 might be optimal sometimes to receive and transmit on the same plane, it's not always. The same goes for SO-50 or any other satellite. The beauty of Arrows in your hand is you can make quick adjustments as necessary. Sometimes really quick on AO-85!

NJ4Y likes this.
  7. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

DSC_2048.JPG I use a carbide scriber to mark holes and elements.

Or if one has a sunroof see photo...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you use an Arrow to kill an Elk?

9. NJ4Y

NJ4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

True. I find it easier with my arrow on AO-85 to peak the uplink rather than the downlink... so when I start transmitting, I just slowly twist the antenna until I hear myself clearly. The downlink signal is strong enough on 2m that you don't have to worry as much about the receive polarity.

However, the opposite is true on SO-50, so bear that in mind. :)