ad: M2Ant-1

Non-religious question elk vs arrow

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KA7FTP, Feb 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm ... teardown/portability versus performance ...

At least on the FM voice birds - and ISS packet - I pick the Arrow every time due to its better performance. And as others have stated, just remove the three 2M element pairs, and it is a nice, flat friend. Although I do have the Arrow nylon bag, I have not needed to tear mine down all the way to make it really portable.

As you have read elsewhere, either is a good investment.

My Arrow "mods" - a handle and a tray at the end for an HT - are pictured here ...

http://k6lcs.com/Photos/Pages/Arrow_Mod.html

2. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

For this round I went for the arrow, I also went for the mfj diplexer. I need to get evything wired up and figure out the tracking software. I'm pretty excited to join the ranks of the "bird watchers"!

Thanks again for all of your comments. It was quite the concice data dump. In the end it was nealry a coin toss. The gain of the arrow was the deciding factor. All though... I'm convinced I will get an elk to play with some time this summer.

Len

NJ4Y likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

One easy solution for many such antennas is that once assembled, mark each element at the contact point with the boom with different colored (or combination of colors) with "Sharpie" type felt tip pens. I use this with a portable (HY-Gain 2M antenna) and no need to measure each time. Markings may have to be renewed every few years, after frequent disassembly, but it saves a LOT of time in the field.. Mark the elements and the connection point on the boom With a little memory and color code, you don't need an instruction manual. The markers come in a rainbow of colors.

4. NJ4Y

NJ4Y Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I highly recommend against doing this to your arrow lol... it's unnecessary, and makes it somewhat difficult to properly aim the antenna and rotate it to keep up with the polarity fades from the satellite downlink. The Arrow works great without such mods.
    Congrats on the new purchase. and look forward to hearing you on!

KB1PVH likes this.
  5. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow ... I guess you haven'e experienced what my orthopaedic surgeon identified as "arrow wrist syndrome" - caused by using the stock foam grip for too many passes with this front-heavy antenna ...

(grin)

Adding the hacksaw handle enhanced the enjoyment of this antenna immensely for me. And twisting it 90 degrees is a breeze.

6. W4FS

W4FS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm...Can't say I've experienced that and I've operated hundreds of passes in the past 6 months with my arrow. Foam grip works fine and dandy...

NJ4Y likes this.
  7. NJ4Y

NJ4Y Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, there's the difference. I don't use the arrow because I enjoy using the antenna, I use it because I enjoy making sat QSOs, which is much easier to do if you can properly aim/twist. Look forward to hearing you on an easy coast-to-coast SO-50 pass one of these days Clint. :D

8. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gosh. I didn't realize Arrow Antennas were front-heavy. Learned something new today from the Internet.

AD5KO, WD9EWK and NJ4Y like this.
  9. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Use an Alaskan Arrow for a few months. The regular Arrow feels like nothing after you condition your wrist with the Alaskan!

K6LCS and AD5KO like this.
  10. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

We got out this evening and nearly made a contact!!!

My wife was opperating the radio using her call, ke7pff, with me pointing the antenna. We learned a few things.

Things happen really fast. It would have really helped for her to be sitting and to write the calls down. Opps responded so rapidly that we would miss their call.

I was about 80% good with the antenna. We also kept pretty close on the frequency changes.

If anyone happened to hear her call let us know!

This is really really cool!

Len

AI6KX, W5PFG, K4BAD and 3 others like this.