Non HOA hams, why no tower?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4IOA, Jan 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

My brother in law got the same bill recently. All I could think of is how I could home brew the darn thing using transistors from my parts bins myself. Feel for ya man.

K4AGO likes this.
  2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think they would be that difficult to build, but making them as small as they can make them would be impossible for me.

Let me say this while it is on my mind...

Charles, since you and Dave (UUU) have become moderators, I have seen a definite change in the atmosphere of these forums. You guys have made it a pleasure to be a part of these discussions. I admire you both for your character and the fact that you are both gentlemen. I offer my sincere THANK YOU to both of you for the job you do here. Fred was wise to allow you both to moderate the discussions here in the forums.

Fred has created the best thing going on the web for ham radio...QRZ. You and Dave are playing a very big part in making the ZED an enjoyable and educational experience for the rest of us.

Once again, THANK YOU both for the time you spend, the effort you put forth and the example you set for the rest of us. If there are other moderators that I am not aware of, I sincerely apologize for leaving them out. It was not intentional.

Thank you Fred for giving us QRZ. Your gift is a precious one.

John
    K4AGO

W8LV, US7IGN, W2AI and 3 others like this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John,

@W7UUU, @K9STH myself and the rest of the moderation team do our best to make your visit to the site an enjoyable one.

Very nice comments and thank you.

KM1H, W2AI, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

AGO:

A great many towers are not bolted to the concrete base. Instead, they have several feet (often, with amateur radio type towers, about 3-feet) of tower actually inside the concrete. Rohn sells short sections just for this but, usually, just like slightly over 3-feet of a 10-foot long section is placed in the hole and then concrete poured around that section. Gravel needs to be put in the hole and then the open ends of the tubing are put down in the gravel so that any water which gets into the tower legs can drain. Otherwise, if there is water in the tower legs and the temperature gets below freezing, the expanding ice can actually split the tower legs.

Therefore, the tower legs have to be sawed off at the top of the concrete to get the tower down.

My main tower, the tower itself, is 54-feet to the top. It is Rohn 35 tower (not 25 or 45, 35) which is a tower that was sold, primarily, by Motorola for use with commercial two-way radio systems. It is 15-inches on a side whereas Rohn 25 is 12-inches on a side and Rohn 45 is 18-inches on a side. The specifications are much closer to that of Rohn 45 than those of Rohn 25.

I obtained 5-each 10-foot sections and then there was a 7-foot piece that had been sawed off when the tower was taken down. I put about 3-feet of that 7-foot section in the hole which left about 4-feet out of the ground. Then, with the 5-sections on top of that, I have 54-feet of tower.

Now, my "short" tower, which is Rohn 25, does have a flat plate which is bolted to the concrete base. To take down that tower would require removing the large nuts from the threaded rod in the concrete base.

Glen, K9STH

KM4ALK, K9CPO, W2AI and 1 other person like this.
  5. K4AGO

Charles,
    You guys are successful.... Thank you for putting yourself on the front line. I and many others very much appreciate your effort.
    John
    K4AGO

W8LV, W2AI and KC8VWM like this.
  6. K4AGO

Hi Glen,
    Thank you for your response and the great information. I had no idea that the towers were put together that way. But, thinking about towers in general, they are meant to be a permanent installation and not portable and the great picture you painted for me reinforces that.

When I worked for Duke Energy (I am retired now) The high voltage towers were bolted to the concrete pads in the same manor as your tower. But, still, when towers were razed. They would cut tow of the legs with an acetylene torch and pus the tower over with a bull dozer. That was determined to be the safest way to get the tower down. If you unbolted all four legs it was impossible to tell when or where it was going. With two legs cut and pushing the tower in a certain direction (toward the two legs still attached) you controlled the direction of fall.

An interesting side note... once the towers were down, the scrap metal was sold for $1.00 per tower. Some of the angle iron was bent, but most was still in good shape. Who ever bought the tower would then come onto the tower right of way and diassemble the tower and haul the metal off. There is a heaped up 5 gallon bucket of nuts and bolts in one tower.

A friend and I bought a dozen of the towers and disassembled them and took the metal angle iron to a storage lot and sold it. We made a lot of money off the galvanized angle iron. We used a utility trailer that was made from a single wide mobile home to haul the angle iron on. It was lon enough to safely haul the angle.

We also bought a tractor trailer load of new nails from the Ft. Bragg Army Carpenter School in Fayetteville, NC. The nails were in 55 gallon drums and were brand new. When the carpenters came back from school in the afternoon, they would empty their nail aprons in the drums. The army did not trust them to put the nails back in the bins they came out of. They were afraid the privates would get them mixed up so they scrapped the new nails in the drums instead of sorting them out.

Your tax dollars at work/

Thanks for the great tower info.

John
    K4AGO

W2AI likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thank you John - very kind of you. We always try our best to keep this an enjoyable place for folks to yak about stuff.

Very much appreciated.

Dave
    W7UUU

KM1H, KA2CZU, W2AI and 1 other person like this.
  8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

John, you can show your appreciation by becoming a lifetime member of QRZ.com. Yes, the moderators on these forum are experienced, knowledgeable and active hams. I'm sure they (and Fred) appreciate my sense of humor on these threads.

Dan W2AI
    QRZ.com Lifetime member #240
    Licensed since March 1970

9. NU6I

NU6I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

how many radials do you use and how long?

Thanks and 73, Yvon NU6I

W8LV likes this.
  10. W8LV

W8LV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Comparing and Contrasting is NOT off topic. But that was a NICE TRY at trying to be The Threadmaster...

73 DE W8LV Bill