Non HOA hams, why no tower?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4IOA, Jan 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Chicken Little was tripping out on LSD when she told you the sky was falling, Steve!!:eek:
    upload_2019-1-11_14-21-21.png

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You may be right. I think it was Timothy Leary who told me about Chicken Little and then I forget a lot of what happened after that.

W2AI likes this.
  3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent $6000.00 on hearing aids today. Maybe next month I can get a tower.
    John
    K4AGO

W4IOA likes this.
  4. K4AGO

You guys are fortunate. My father took off when I was two and my sister was one. We have never seen or heard from him again. No merry Christmas, no happy birthday, no child support. We grew up poor, dirt poor. The one thing he left behind was a work ethic and I got that. I worked hard in school and in my profession. So... Thanks Dad !!!

I envy you having had a father. I missed out on a lot of things.

I had an uncle Bud on my mothers side who was my Elmer. He is SK now but had it not been for Bud, I would know nothing about ham radio.

Thanks Bud for being there for me.
    John
    K4AGO

W2AI likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

Sad story, sorry you had to endure that.

My dad wasn't a ham but encouraged everything we did (my brother and I) including ham radio. He helped me put up my first tower and beams -- very handy with lots of power tools.:)

US7IGN likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

What was that? I can't hear you.:p

W2AI likes this.
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Isn't that ridiculous... <sigh>

K4AGO likes this.
  8. K4AGO

Glen, Why do they cut the towers off instead of unbolting them from the baseplate? That makes no sense to me.

If I am showing my ignorance, please forgive me. I have never had a tower and don't know that much about them. I heard George Thomas on Ham Nation talk about AM radio towers being made of solid steel instead of tubular steel. He said the tubular steel towers could and would rust inside but the AM towers cannot do that since they are solid steel. A solid steel tower must be incredibly heavy.

I have seen a tower fall. That is a sight that is fit for people with a very strong heart. It is not pretty.

John
    K4AGO

9. K4AGO

Yes it is ridiculous. It is a money racket. My guess is that it costs about $3.00 to make one of the darned things. But, I need to be able to hear to copy CW and hear my wife so she won't smack a knot on my bald head.

Japanese radios are a real bargain compared to hearing aids.
    John
    k4AGO

KC8VWM and K4MSM like this.
  10. K4AGO

And next is new glasses... NOT a new tower. I know I cant see as well as I could two years ago.
    John
    K4AGO