Non HOA hams, why no tower?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4IOA, Jan 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

But towers aren't limited to DXing. My grandfather had a 75 foot crank up tubular tower in middle of a 100 x 125 lot in the middle of Long Beach, California. To that he added 50 feet of mast to make a full wave vertical antenna for 160 meters. He did that to talk to his friends on what was known as the "Grandpas net" in 1.922 KHz. In fact, he hated DXing...

2. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have two 30 foot towers attached to the house. Since the attach point is only 12 feet off the ground 30 foot towers are all I can attach as I can not guy them 3 ways.

When I got into the hobby in 1992 I had a mortgage, young family etc to look after. So I never bothered putting up a free standing tower. Made due with what I had and the height of my antennas.

Last year I priced out installing a 48 foot free standing tower. Now I can afford to have one installed.

Thought about it for awhile and decided "Nah, I don't really like climbing anymore so why bother?"

Hell I have work to do on a 6 meter yagi/rotor setup on one of the towers. For the past two summers I keep looking at it and thinking "I need to get that beam down and repair that rotor" But I installed a rotor down in the tower which rotates the existing rotor/beam at the top of the mast. It was an easy fix, I stood on the low sloped roof to install the second rotor! :) For sure this coming summer I will get things looked after on that tower.

I have talked to guys who have no towers. But they have 60-100 foot trees that they wire antennas up into. I have had several QSO's with one guy who has his 40/80 fan dipole strung up at 100 feet in the trees behind his house. He has no other antennas as he doesn't bother with the higher bands.

I checked his QRZ bio, went to the satelite photo and there is no sign of wires in those trees. No hassle from neighbors and at 100 feet his signal on 40 was strong!

I just work who I can hear, I am not a DX chaser (but 177 confirmed from causal DX'ing over the past 12 years of being retired.) I'd rather rag chew and I can do that on 40 and 80 with a fan dipole hanging at 29 feet. With a 2 element tri band mounted above that at 33 feet.

Good enough for me. Plus I'd rather spend my play money on my golf membership ;)

3. N1MFL

N1MFL Ham Member QRZ Page

For me I'm disabled so i couldn't really put one up and maintain it

4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. There are always exceptions. In most cases, however, it's for reasons other than his which motivates some, as we read here, to erect towers and painfully rationalize that choice.

5. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2019-1-11_12-31-3.png

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, that was a famous case of someone not knowing what they were doing.

NOBODY with any tower experience would do this:

W7IX Dies in Fall from Tower:
    by W4JBR on May 17, 2006 Mail this to a friend!
    While Ron did have a ground crew assisting him, the tower fell when the 4 element 40 meter beam he was removing fell across one of the top guys and snapped it. The top section then tilted towards the remaining two guys and came off the structure.

A 4 element 40 meter beam at 160 feet and he was removing it himself and it fell across a critical guy wire? That's just nuts. And the tower did not fall down.

N5XH likes this.
  7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VSK:

I have been saying, since this thread began, that there are all sorts of reasons why someone has, or doesn't have, a tower. Frankly, at least where I am concerned, the reasons why someone doesn't have a tower is that person's "business" and that person does NOT have to justify their reason why to have, or not to have, a tower to anyone.

Unfortunately, there are a relatively few who seem to be very critical of those who do have towers or coming up with all sorts of reasons as to why having a tower is bad. I cannot help but believe that the majority of those people are just expressing "sour grapes" because, for any number of reasons, they do not have such a structure. It seems to be human nature that many people express negative feelings towards something because they are envious since they cannot "have" that something!

Glen, K9STH

8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You hit the nail right on the head, Glen. Pure human nature to be envious of others that have 'something' that you can not obtain.

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't seen that. Rather, if you look, I think you will find that most either don't want one or can't rationalize having one. What I have seen is people saying they can't fall down and other dubious declarations to rationalize their choice. This whole discussion is pointless but that isn't anything novel here.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's why most BIG towers are installed in such a way that they won't fall on anyone. And yes, tornadoes can certainly create very unusual consequences; they can also rip off the roof of your home, or even flatten it entirely.

Anyway, no amount of discussion will dissuade me from continuing to install and use antenna towers. Chicken Little told me the sky was falling, but it really wasn't.