Noisy TS870s antenna tuner

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by G3RVI, Nov 18, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. G3RVI

G3RVI Ham Member QRZ Page

My Kenwood TS870 has for some time now been producing a loud squealing noise from the antenna tuner mechanism which clearly is pleading with me to lubricate it! Having never dismantle the radio I feel a little advice from anyone who has would be most welcome. Is this something that would be relatively easy to get at and fix with a little light oil and if so how do I go about it.

73's de John (G3RVI)

2. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

A syringe with with a long needle filled with sewing machine oil and a little patience is all it takes.

3. G3RVI

G3RVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Clif. I had a go but failed miserably! I could see the 2 motors turning the tuning capacitors but applying oil to where I could see the spindles moving had no effect. I couldn't be sure exactly where the screaming noise was actually coming from but thought it may have been the rear bearing of one of the motors. It only happens occasionally, mainly on 40 metres so I think I will just live with it as I have for some years already! All was not lost however as I was able to do the mod enabling me to now use the extra part of 40m which for many years was not available to us in the UK.

4. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Try again, don't oil the gears, oil each end of each shaft. I've never had a problem with the back bearing, it's always the front or one of the shafts.