Noise problem -- offending neighbor Part II

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4VBB, Nov 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4VBB

K4VBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Update:

I built my resonant loop antenna over the weekend, and the noise came back strong last night. Took the antenna around the block and was positively able to isolate the house (and the room) that the noise is coming from. Surprisingly, it was NOT Neon-guy.

The noise appears to be coming from a large TV mounted on the wall of the living room on the 2nd floor of this home. The noise starts at about 2460 KHz and starts to die off just above 8000 KHz. The directional nature of the noise suggests that it is not a power-supply issue, which would likely be leaking into the electrical system of the house to radiate. Unfortunately, I don't know very much about how a television set could be radiating RF, especially at those frequencies. My guess is that the RF noise is reflecting off of whatever (ineffective) RF shielding exists at the back of the TV set, and propagating throughout the neighborhood.

Mike says he's going to approach the guy, so I'm going to let that play out, and stay out of things for now. If it continues after that, or if we get a negative response (which I don't really expect), then I guess I'll have to escalate things.

Anyone ever heard something like this from a TV before? I'd like be able to offer a solution if I can, not just a complaint.

WZ7U and N0TZU like this.
  2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

We had a plasma TV that destroyed wide swaths of the HF spectrum. No amount of RF chokes helped. Our newer LCD televisions are quiet...although there was an issue with noise when a particular device (Roku box?) was plugged into an HDMI port, even with the TV off.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, plasma TVs are rather notorious for being HF noisemakers. Thankfully, they are now obsolete.

N8ZL likes this.
  4. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

It will be fun to see where this thread goes. The last one morphed into the problem being a illegal marijuana grower and problems with growth lights.

K9ASE and N3AB like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, I must have missed that one. :eek:

Did they fix the lights, or did they "fix" the poorly placed crop?? :)

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

illegal growing is one thing - tell 'em their grow lights are known and obvious, and they clean up quickly.

legal and semi-legal growers are a bigger problem, because they don't think they are doing anything wrong. I'm about to make a county case out of the guys across the street, this area is zoned residential, not agricultural. And yeah, the HF noise is still a federal case. Big hammers. Better to try to talk to folks first.

7. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please keep us informed on your progress in this...

8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

buy him a new TV - $500 for a samsung 55" - all parties happy!

N8ZL and W4IOA like this.
  9. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best Buy has them on sale for $379.00 for a Samsung 55 UHD LED TV.. It literally has the picture jump out at you. I got one., so get him one. No more noise :D

K6CLS and W4RAV like this.
  10. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought it was a 12/12 cycle? RAC