Noise on HF

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6CID, Feb 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That's where the real finesse comes in.

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If the neighbors solar system is causing interference to commercial AM broadcast you are gold. Call the FCC and explain the situation to them, tell them it is interfering with your ability to hear sports, news, and weather on your AM radio. They will have to take action.

N0TZU and PU2OZT like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can’t find the QRZ thread right now, but as I recall the FCC took an interest in RFI from solar systems a couple of years ago, and is more inclined to investigate and take action on them than say a noisy wall wart.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

LOTS !

The British Government are putting pressure on our Power Companies to get their customers to have Smart Meters fitted (as we call them).

I got an e-mail from mine yesterday, saying I would be getting a call soon to arrange a date to have them fitted (on the Gas & Electric supplies). I replied, saying I NEVER want one fitted, and if they force me I will change to another power company.

I received a nice reply, saying they had made a note on my account that I don't ever want a Smart Meter !

Roger G3YRO

WQ4G and KA4DPO like this.
  5. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

3 monthss back i got smart meters for electricity and natural gas, not a peep to be heard even holding a wideband receiver against their housings....

KA0HCP likes this.
  6. K6CID

K6CID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I read that thread. It gives me an avenue to pursue.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They are a notorious source of RFI, you were smart to refuse them. Several years ago, our city decided to change over to wireless water meters. The meter guy would just drive past your house, and presto, your water consumption was recorded. Only problem was, not only did my noise levels on the ham bands jump to 10 over S9, but the meters even interfered with FM radio as well. They were gone within a month, and all was well again, and we have not had them since.

While I'm sure the newer meters are more RFI friendly than the old ones were, I would still not take that chance, I have read far too many reports of QRN coming from those things over the years.

8. K6CID

K6CID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This morning I walked past two neighbors that have solar panels with my am radio. Not a peep! Guess I am left only with shutting off the main breaker with battery power.

9. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Solar charge controllers are notorious for being noise emitting devices...

Good luck.

10. KI7TGX

KI7TGX Ham Member QRZ Page

My neighborhood has solar panels, grow lights, arcing transformers on power lines, etc. Some of you guys like knocking on doors telling people to silence these things they paid good money for, or else the FCC will get a letter, so that you can play with your radio. I would have to spend my life on tracking down RFI to silence it. It's just a fact of life in the city or suburbs. I work the stations I can over the noise, and go hiking when I want to work weak signals.