Noise on HF

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6CID, Feb 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s called white noise. Sounds like a continuous ‘shsh’ sound.

It’s not atmospheric noise because it’s on all bands all the time.

What happens if you disconnect the antennas? If it’s still there, then it’s probably something set incorrectly in your radio, or a fault in the radio.

And, what’s different from before the noise started? Anything new in or around your house or the neighborhood that you know of?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    WZ7U likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I would venture to guess crap solar chargers in the neighborhood aren't helping matters any. Not much you can do about that.
    Bob's input above is a good thing to check too.

Plus, disable any pre-amp settings you may have engaged.

KA4DPO, KY6L and N0TZU like this.
  3. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hit the main breaker, you must eliminate your home as the possible source before searching elsewhere. 73 Rich

N1VAU likes this.
  4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder how much 'noise' that these power company Electric Meter Remote Readers generate ?

5. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I operate remote from stations high in mountains in isolated areas some even on solar power and I "see" noise that varies on bands for example on 20m bright yellow that covers the entire band on the waterfall (I love this new thing of visual waterfalls never had in my active days in the 60s), Also on 40. Then once in a while, a ping-like signal that moves from lower to upper-frequency showing diagonally on the waterfall and a higher-pitched sound than just the yellow "noise".

I can switch to various other close to nowhere stations and I see the same thing. So am thinking this has to be atmospheric. Some day if have time would like to take some images but I assume others with waterfalls can see them. I am a follower on Patron of Dr. Skov and may submit question to her someday, or find one of her many past presentations maybe she has discussed it since she is a ham and well known in the ham community.

Or, if folks here know what I am talking about? Remember it's not my local noise since my rig is six 28" computer screens connected to remote on mountaintop or other rural isolated stations via cox gigiblast Internet...my mic has a very long chord as ARRL and FCC had described remote computing!

Update - it does seem to come and go at different times. I just checked now from a mountain site in Colorado and overlooking the Atlantic from Maine and the yellow is not there now, although the band is also dead.

I note flux has been increasing and may soon have a solar storm from a filament explosion sending protons and fast solar wind coming earthside shortly - next few days. At least we finially got a few small sunspots back.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 4:57 AM
  6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a video about this noise would be helpful. And switch bands for comparison.

7. K6CID

K6CID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would try and make a video today

N0TZU likes this.
  8. K6CID

I just realized that a neighbor opposite to my QTH has installed solar panels Maybe that is the noise source. Do you know if the portable AM radio test would work to verify that.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very possibly :) If you know the orientation of the antenna inside the AM radio you can very well 'aim' it towards a source. Plus closer=stronger by ear.
    I've got a source two houses up from me. A walk up the street pinned down his house. I know the guy and he was amenable to talking about it and let me see his 'installation'. The chinese controller/inverter crap was roaring with trash on any frequency.

10. K6CID

Thanks. I would try that tomorrow. If it indeed the cause, I would speak to the homeowner but if they are not corporative, I would try the ARRL and the FCC