ad: TinyPaddle-1

NOAA and NASA Say Solar Cycle 25 Has Begun

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Sep 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are so convinced that this is 'being ignored', then simply provide us with the facts--as the alleged magnetospheric 'decline' affects HF propagation. Your links are....

??

KA2FIR and N0TZU like this.
  2. AD7DB

AD7DB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am hoping this prediction is wrong, and that Cycle 25 will be a LOT better than this last one.
    I've seen several forecasts by different people, all over the scale from "Maunder Minimum!" to "Wow, 1958 again??"
    Some of them think this will be better than Cycle 24, perhaps up to around Cycle 20 (1970). I'd take it.
    (Just my personal opinion.)

3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Could you stop replying to me. Surprised your not banned yet for your repulsive responses in other threads. Besides your just trolling because most imbeciles with a smart phone know how to look things up.

N6MEJ, KC1DR and AC9XH like this.
  4. AC9XH

AC9XH Guest

To all who claim the band above 20 meters is dead, Did you try calling cq in various parts of it? I have and using propagation technics like looking where the gray line is ,sunrise,sun set ,i have made alot of contacts on 17,15,10 meters. mostly cw but some with digital modes. even with no hearable sounds of a signal, i made contact with several on 10 meters ft8. Need to try it. Also 10 meters,15 meters has been sporadically open for awhile. been making cw contacts on both.I dont use cb but i leave one on to hear the junk skip coming in. when it hits,i get on 10 and 15. pretty reliable.

KA2FIR and KE6LYU like this.
  5. AC9XH

AC9XH Guest

Here is a challenge. when you think the bands are closed, start calling cq. if everyone did this just for 15min out of each hour on each band, you would be surprised with the amount of contacts you can make. OH for my post earlier, i was using tow different antennas. I have a small lot but i use a vertical homemade and a longwire 84 ft long. long wire passes my roof by 6 inches so its only up in the air 18 ft up.so if i can do it, others can too. I actually prefer the vertical for better angle of my signal. I contact dx better with it.

73 and good luck everyone. Hopefully the opening will be like in the 80s.

KA2FIR and N0TZU like this.
  6. AC9XH

AC9XH Guest

JUst thought i would make this one statement. When i started out, i was using a johnson viking transmitter with 3 crystals. 2 for 80 meters and 1 for 40 m the receiver ? a lowly s38b hallicrafters.THAT WAS IT. And I wasnt constantly worried about the flux,etc. I just used grayline and time of day.AND I HAD FUN. Sure the bands got rough and dead,but thats par for the course. I then graduated up to an hw-8, and boy did it blow the s38b out of the water.POINT? even when the bands sound dead and crappy, get on them and try.

KB7GL, KT4RK and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. N1IPU

It's 99% antenna. I do most of my 20mtr with a 40 mtr delta loop. If your running a vertical its all in the grounding. I have a small space right now but have found just radials don't do it. I laid out galvy wire fencing in a square under the antenna and the radials run from that. A decent torch that will allow silver solder will make the connections you need, Also depending on soil conductivity drop two or more ground rods. I run four at each corner of the fencing. depending on conditions I can switch between the two antennas. 20 mtrs. is actually good. I make regular contacts to the intercon net and maritime net from my mobile on 100 watts with a screwdriver from NE. again its all in the grounding. every part of the chassis is bonded including the exhaust. Just remember nothing good is easy. No commercial antenna will make up for poor grounding.

KI3H likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We are looking for facts here, as a guide to our understanding of the next Cycle 25. You made an extraordinary claim regarding the effect the magnetosphere has on this, based on an alleged 'magnetospheric decline'.

It is both appropriate and relevant that such a question is asked. If you cannot provide relevant links, then advise us that this is opinion, and not fact, as stated.

I am ignoring your personal comments. If the comments posed are relevant to reasonable discussion on the thread topic, I and others are 'going by the rules' by the QRZed . I asked you a reasonable question for which I and presumably others, would like to know the answer.

Again: on what basis, based on facts with links or reference:"...a declining magnetosphere. Lot of documentation out there that is being ignored. "

It is not my obligation to defend your comment--nor can I or others-- when you have not provided the relevant facts via references.

W1YW

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    KA2FIR, AA4MB, N7BWB and 2 others like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hams look at ground as the 'mirror' of RF. That is true when the conductivity is high: there the 'method of images' applies. When the conductivity is not high--99% of ham installations-- the power pattern is diverted up at an angle off the horizon. That is, of course, bad for DX. In this new Cycle 25, or otherwise.

Galvanized wire tends to change its conductivity with time, and is not the best to use for improving ground characteristics.

A delta loop has a fairly high launch angle when placed at typical (say 40 feet or less) heights. Improving the ground does, indeed, provide more gain (in comparison) at lower launch angles (desired for DX). However, improved launch angle gain is also provided by sloping ground and, of course, greater height.

Because horizontally/partially HP polarized antenna require ground 'improvement' well into the far field, adding wire meshes (or wire) to soil has to be done over many wavelengths, which few can achieve. IOW, for vertical monopoles, the ground conductivity is essential for improvement of the 'counterpoise', and typical 1/2 wave diameter works well. Not so for HP polarization--needs bigger ground areas with improvement.

Easiest thing to do is to improve your antenna by raising it.

Here's a couple of references that discuss such ground(ing) issues:

booooks.JPG

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. For some reason educated people keep ignoring false pseudoscience panics. Amazing!

N0TZU likes this.
  11. N1IPU

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

:)

I , for one, would like to pay exactly the amount of attention warranted by a 'declining magnetosphere' with respect to HF propagation. And while I am not an "imbecile", as N1IPU alludes to, I conducted my own internet search and can find no fact-based reference that confirms these assertion of N1IPU.

I would be delighted to know and review any and all such references, and frankly, think that they are important in the context of taking N1IPU's comments as having merit.

My opinion, others may differ.

Chip W1YW

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No discussion here on HF radio propagation

No discussion here on HF radio propagation. You DO understand that the 'Daily Mail' is the Brit equivalent of the National Enquirer.... mixing facts with nonsense... Which is it?
    No discussion here on HF radio propagation.

Based on your response,I respect your comments as opinions, N1IPU, but these references you provide are not a basis for taking your opinions as facts.

There is no fact-based evidence that there is a 'declining magnetosphere' that is affecting HF propagation.

Chip W1YW

N0TZU likes this.
  14. N1IPU

Something wrong with a Ham who cannot correlate the magnetic field to propagation. Just a troll, trolling.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The magnetosphere is , at best, a tertiary 'driver' on HF propagation modes. The primary driver is the ionosphere, which has well-established causal results to changes in solar flux and UV. This occurs predominantly with the ionization and recombination of NOx and other molecules at high altitudes, which to a large extent comprise the ionosphere.

I would be delighted to provide a reference: Danilov's book is a classic on this. Will dig it out if you need more info on that reference.

Certainly intense solar activity , if not diverted by the magnetosphere, will produce solar wind charged events that can affect these molecular/ion processes, Your assertion is that a measured 'decline' in the magnetosphere has a measureable affect on the ionosphere and HF propagation, and there is no evidence--fact-- to support this. As you know, you have not provided a source of facts on that.

N1IPU--I thank you for your concern about my well-being, but at last review, I have found nothing 'wrong' here. If you have facts relating to said alleged 'wrongness' then feel free to make them public, or perhaps you should re-consider the assertion.

Best wishes,
    W1YW

KA2FIR, N7BWB and N0TZU like this.