No Tone 91.5 on FT-736R

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD2GYO, Aug 13, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KD2GYO

KD2GYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,
    I have a FT-736R with tone board installed - when you cycle through the tone values there is no entry for 91.5. However, I have 2+ repeaters close to me with that tone Hz setting.
    Is it possible my tone board is faulty? Or did the default tone board not include that value - in which case is there a way to add it?
    Thanks and 73s
    JW

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's odd. I have an FT-736R and the "tone board" wasn't any kind of option, it came with CTCSS encode standard.

The "option" was the decoder, not the encoder. I have that, also: And they both can select 91.5 Hz.

Mine is old, it's from 1987 and was one of the early ones; maybe they changed something later? But I didn't think so.

Have you tried a "reset," which defaults everything back to scratch (if you do this, you lose all the memories)? -- might be worth a try.

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

John -

The Yaesu FT-736R transceivers in North America included the FTS-8 CTCSS board.
    In other parts of world, this was shown as OPTION. Did you buyer yours in UK ??

Yaesu FT-736R VHF/UHF Transceiver (circa 1992)
    Operating Manual
    PAGE 45 : CTCSS frequencies from FTS-8.
    91.5 Hz is listed as a ā€œCā€ tone ā€” High Q (80), 15h (hexadecimal)
    http://hb9f.ch/shack/pdf/FT-736R_Manual.pdf

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KD2GYO

Hi all- thanks very much for the replies.
    I did mess up the description a bit - yes, what I have is just the default tone decode capability. I'm not in front of the radio right now - and can't remember if the encode board is installed. It is a US radio.
    I think the references to the manual and tone code list clear it up - i'd not seen the 91.5 tone between 88.5 and 94.8 so assumed it wasn't there - it looks from the above that if I cycle above 250.3 I'll see the high Q ones. Back in front of the radio on Friday so will try then.
    Appreciate the help!
    73s,
    JW

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly, that's how my 736 works

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine, too.

It's there, just seems "out of place.":p

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Early CTCSS EN/DEcoders had fewer tones than the later days of Two way radios. There was some mathematical relation in the tone spacing and later the added tones were the result of better Q in decoders.

KD2GYO likes this.
  9. KD2GYO

Confirming I found 091.5 at the top end of the list - so now happily accessing the repeaters! Thanks all for the help.
    JW

KA9JLM likes this.