ad: Alphaant-1

No satelites on GPS - what is the problem ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7EJ, Aug 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am an old fashion "troubleshooter" and have a had time accepti9ng that TWO old pieces of hardware , with similar , not same , software version would FAIL SAME way same time.
    But I'll will freely admit it can and did happen - four out of four speaks "blew up" same time. Go figure,
    As I mentioned - the box runs on Windoze and WINE will not execute the software.
    So - no access to box , no "rollover" fixing.

I'll keep tinkering with that.

From other observations , discussions - it sure looks as the software has few "timing issues" , of course vendor willl not fess-up to that.
    Per one source - doing hardware "reset" may take up to 45 MINUTES to recover to "normal".
    And it did not mention how long the box must be exposed to satelites.

"As is often the case with GPS signals: It doesn't take a lot between you and the sky to drop the signal coming from the satellites. I typically get 5 to 6 satellites on my HT indoors, but I can easily get 8 if I'm outside."

Seldom had an issue with that, when it worked, but TomTom definitely went crazy in many "downtowns" and in Utah canyons.
    Perhaps "picket fencing" is definitely alive in modern space age technology.

Learn something new, which should not be surprising - the "connect to computer feature " is plan USB "device" connection.
    Of course the files purposes is one guess work.

73 Shirley

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

"conclusion" ?

If device has hardware "RESET" - USE IT!
    If device expects MINIMUM of four satellite signals AFTER such hardware "RESET" - give it clear view of the sky and (unspecified ) time to "acquire" such signals.
    Funny - after four satellites are slowly acquired the "faulty" GPS will not continue to acquire more, but start working and acquire more satellites few minutes later.

Position side by side - the "faulty" box satellites signal level display is higher then the other one.

Best uneducated guess what happened -
    flaky 12V to 5V car converter causing (unnoticed!) low battery level and driving by Area 51 erased the satellites data.

Thanks for participating.

73 Shirley